Whoops! It IS Illegal. :( Discreet Chicken Keeping Tips?

I don't understand why chickens are a big deal with the law, yet people can have the noisest dogs and cats without trouble!

I guess I'm lucky - our ordinances online specifically said chickens were fine as long as they weren't bothering anyone. Can't say the same for the noisy dogs in our neighborhood, though.

Quote:
I will bet if you asked one of the original law makers they will say, smell and disease and excrement removal.

Won't matter if there is no smell or you can prove no disease. That's what people who don't have chickens seem to think about them. And municipalities have this thing about what gets put in the garbage. They won't believe you'll compost it. Heck, composting is probably illegal in some places, too!

That's sorta good news/ bad news...
Glad you have the birdies...and are going to a chicken friendly spot.

I have housechickens and except for some splort stains that I need to steamclean out, I won't have to redo the place..

Well, if you ask me, dogs and cats can smell just as bad as any chicken. It's about taking care of the animals, I think.

Quote:
Haven't we all been in town on one of those first warm days of Spring. The snow is gone, the ground is wet, and the humidity high. We step outside into the warm sunshine and all we can smell is dog poop :eek:!! From one end of town to the other - there's more dog poop than lawn grass, or at least, it smells that way
roll.png

You are out on the front lawn with visitors. The neighbor's criminally neglected Fido is chained in his backyard. "Well it's great to see . . . bark, bark . . . tell me how . . . bark, howl . . . where is . . . yowl, yip, wail . . . have you . . . ruff, ruff, woof, bark, wooooooo!!"

And while I'm complaining . . . you're up to your elbows in the soft soil of a flower bed. Dreams of bedding plants and perennials are dancing in your head. So what do you come across? The neighbor's cat has left a calling card - in every square foot of your flower bed :eek:! You head off to the carport to get your shovel . . . and everything in there smells of cat pee including your car :mad:!!

Steve
cool.png

Last edited:
Oh how TRUE!!!

My neighbors who leave their dog out 24/7 and do nothing to stop it's barking Just got ANOTHER DOG!!! So now there are TWO out there in the side yard barking ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT. At least I bring mine in when he gets going.
As far as the cats go. My elderly neighbors, and their daughter call their cats in every evening. So then i have to listen to a few hours of whistling and calls of "Here Rusty" "Come here Elvis" Usually the cats are either sitting across the street just watching them and thinking "I am not a dog. I will come when I choose"

I am curious how the winter went with your chickens. I live near Chicago not too far from the FEED store on Harlem near I-55. Was the winter a challenge and did it effect egg production?

I would just break the law, though. I wouldn't tell a soul.

This will be a great lesson for your daughter. Teach her now that rules don't apply to her. I just hope that doesn't backfire on you though.​

Quote:
This will be a great lesson for your daughter. Teach her now that rules don't apply to her. I just hope that doesn't backfire on you though.

Civil disobedience IS a good lesson for her daughter. Bad laws should be disobeyed, and restrictions of freedom should be resisted. America has enough sheep. Please don't raise any more. Government permission to own CHICKENS?! It would make George Washington weep.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom