Who's egg is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tongiechick, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Tongiechick

Tongiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Tonganoxie Kansas
    I came home today and found these eggs in my coop. I checked the bones to see if they were wide enough to pass an egg on all my young hens. The three hens that should be coming into lay that had wide enough apart bones were: a barred plymouth rock, a cochin, and a speckled sussex. Culd you please help me by telling me whose eggs you think they are?[​IMG] The bread is only there for a size comparison.

~Tongiechick

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    you could put food coloring in vent, although I would read more about it ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    They are all suppose to lay cream to brown eggs. So it is kind of hard to tell. But an easy way to tell is to put different colors of food dye on each suspects vent. Then when they lay an egg it should come out with a streak of that color on it. Doesn't hurt the hen at all, eggs are still safe to eat, and safe and easy

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All are supposed to lay brown or cream eggs, so it is difficult to tell for sure. Food coloring in the vent is one way to tell for sure, or you could simply observe them in the morning hours and hope to see who's laying.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    From my personal experience I'd say the lighter ones are cochin or sussex and the darker ones are Rock.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Donrae-- I think that the Sussex or the Cochin is laying the lighter colored eggs. My Cochin lays very light brown eggs compared to my other birds.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes

8. Tongiechick

Sep 2, 2012
    Tonganoxie Kansas
    Thank you

9. Tongiechick

Sep 2, 2012
    Tonganoxie Kansas
    [​IMG]
    Thank you everyone who replied. as you can see on Theodora batgirl's egg the food coloring worked and i have successfully identified the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by