Who's Incubating in Nov. 2011 ?

I have hatches on Nov. 9th, Nov. 16th, and Nov. 17th so far. I just had a hatch on Nov. 2nd. I set round 2 to 3 dozen for each hatch. Hatching BOs, RIRs, RIWs, Dels, BRs, Blue Rocks right now and sometimes some BSLs, RSLs and EEs.

Last edited:
Quote:
Interesting....do the guinea hens or ducks (what's the term for a female duck ? I know the males are called drakes) naturally incubate their eggs in the winter ?

Males - Drake
Females - Duck

I'm not to sure on the Guineas. I'm just going to guess and say they Males are called Guinea Cocks and females are Guinea Hens?

Quote:
Goodness Woman!!
lol.png

Thats a bunch of peeping!

Quote:
I save up till I get the desired number of eggs I want to incubate.
The chance of the eggs developing and hatching decreases the more you wait.
I don't want to add eggs as I get them because I really don't like staggered hatches.
I have just discovered BYC around this time this year last year, but I'm not new to ducks and chickens though.
wink.png
Have had them for years. Since, I've been on BYC I have learnt about new breeds and colors of chickens, ducks, geese, peafowl, guineas, quail, and whatever else! Last year I wasn't really into incubateing eggs since it was still new to me and I didn't wan't to deal with chicks/ducklings in the winter, but this year is different.. I have been bitten by the incubateing bug! I'm wanting to get the R-Com 20 incubator this winter to use next year since I have spent a ton of money on eggs and end up watching it all go down the drain and nothing hatch.. Just makes you sick.

I have a muscovy pair that have been sitting on 14 eggs for at least 3 weeks now...I added in a bantam egg to see if she would hatch that for me:) how much longer can I expect to wait till they are hatched? also..once they have hatched do I bring them in for awhile until they are bigger? We live in upstate NY and it has been getting down in the 30s at night..We have heat lamps in our coop but I know it is no where warm enough for babies. How old do ducklings need to be before they can join the others. LuLu (muscovy mama)wanted to sit so we let her. At one point she had about 20 eggs..but now there are only 14...no new ones for a week now. Is there a way I can check the eggs to see if the chicks are growing inside or if she/he is just sitting on duds? Oh we have a pair of pekins too, so I think there may be some of those eggs in the nest as well..I can not tell them apart. Advice
smile.png
?? We have a wonderfully warm Living room with a woodstove that is perfect for babies...so bringing them in is def an option! Thanks in advance....Sarah

Wondering if it would be a better if I went and got an incubator? I have never raised from eggs before..only 3 day olds.

Back
Top Bottom