Who's next? UPDATE - Goldie is a winner!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PtldChick, Aug 31, 2011.

1. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    My 19-week EE, Ivory, just started laying last week. I'm wondering who will be next?

Choice #1 - 18-week-old Cuckoo Marans. Her comb and wattles are looking pretty big and red to me (a little redder than in the flash pictures), and they've been that way for a while. But I've also read that Marans are typically later starters. She is hanging around with my alpha cockeral quite a bit (I haven't seen any squatting or mating, but I know he's fertile and active because Ivory's eggs have bullseyes).
    Odds 4:1

Cuckoo looks as ready as ever, I thought she would be my first layer and now the best she can hope for is 3rd place at 21 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Choice #2 - Ivory's "sister" EE, Libby. Although she and Ivory are my oldest, her comb is still rather pink and small.
    Odds 7:1

Libby's comb has gotten bigger and more red, although not as large and red as her fellow EE, Ivory, who's been laying for a month now. She almost lost the bet completely today when she decided to run outside the run while I was entering. Fortunately I was able to save her from four eager whippets before seh lost more than a few feathers. I think she learned her lesson. 22 weeks and counting...
    [​IMG]

Choice #3- Goldie, my 18-week-old Golden Lakenvelder. Her comb and wattles are much redder than those of my 16-week GL, Butterscotch. Lakenvelders are also listed as early maturing birds -- I don't know if that means growth/size or egg-laying or both?
    Odds 5:1

Her comb is now twice as big and flops over. I now have a gauge for when Butterscotch will be ready. Monday evening, I was out in the coop and noticed two golf balls in one nest box - but wait, one was a small cream/tinted egg! We have a winner! 21 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Choice #4
    My 16-week BCM (whose copper is coming in on her chest but not her neck...[​IMG] (Her mom has barely any copper showing at all, but her Blue CM dad is gorgeous). Again, Marans tend to come in late, supposedly. ETA: The flash lightened her red color also.
    Odds 10:1

Cuivre (French for copper), now 19 weeks, started singing the egg song last week. Will she beat Cuckoo to the punch as the first Marans to lay? More important question - how will I know whose egg it is? If it's disappointingly light, I'll assume it's Cuckoo's.

[​IMG]

Place your bets!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    #1 or #2

The other pullets look like they need more growing time:)

3. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Lakenvelders are a small breed - 4-4.5 pounds. I think they're pretty close to full size already.

The BCM is a little small, that's why she has the largest odds! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by