Who's ready for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by BantyHugger, Nov 22, 2009.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I just found out i get this whole next week off from school! [​IMG] Tomorrow me and and some friends are going to the zoo (we haven't been in forever and it'll be fun). I don't know what i'm doing Tuesday. Wednesday we get to make some Pies and Thursday is the big day! We still didn't manage to get a home grown turkey this year but any turkey is better then none i guess. I get to make the stuffing this year. Any Ideas? I love the holidays. What are you guys doing during your breaks?

-Mariah

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. Im not sure if Im ready or not, LOL. My son is mad that he doesn't have school for the week.

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I work Mon and Tues, then Wed is bake pies day, get the turkey ready to be stuffed first thing Thurs am. I like to make pumpkin pie, but I didn't grow my own pumpkins this year. Always have a store bought turkey, never raised a turkey... yet. Yum, apple pie and a berry pie too. Maybe pecan pie. Family will come over, and Thanksgiving is also DH and I's dating anniversary, we will be celebrating 35 years!! August is our wedding anniversary, but we also celebrate our dating one cuz we dated for so long before marriage!

4. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Hi Boo! Good to see you!

I have to work Monday and Tuesday, also, but I like it that way. Short work weeks are weirdly satisfying. [​IMG]

Wednesday I will be making the breads and rolls for Thanksgiving. I like to use all kinds of wheat, rye, and whole grains/seeds. and then, braid or shape the dough. It's my fun annual contribution to the family dinner.

Thursday, we gather at my dad's house. [​IMG]

Life is good! [​IMG]

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm ready! I can't go home until Wednesday afternoon and I'm hoping to avoid the traffic. Thursday is cooking, cooking, cooking and then friday my family will be off to the stores! I always enjoy looking at all the decorations. The when I get back to school we only have a week and a half and we are done for fall semester! Then I have nearly two months break for christmas.

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I did a trial run today to make sure we er..... i have enough leftover turkey [​IMG] I did the turkey, yamms gravy n taters... From start to finish it was 3 1/2 hours with most of that time waiting.... so for the full spread on thursday I'll be doubling this over at my folks house. I figure we'll have about 30 people around if you include the clan from my house so I am figuring on two turkeys (12-15 pounders) 20 lbs of potatoes, coupla big jars of yamms and a few boxes of stovetop (never figured out how to stuff the turkey properly so [​IMG] )

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Boyd, I don't think that turkey you made today would LAST till thanksgiving. That's a lot of food you'll be making though. Sounds like it'll be yummy though!

8. I was planning on having thanksgiving with just Me, hubby, and the kids but change of plans, ARGH! We are going to hubby's family for Thanksgiving. Not something to look foward to.
    BUT!!!! FIL is smoking 3 birds this year on the smoker. We got a BIG BBQ smoker, cast iron, that is used for every family gathering now. All day cooking.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Lol, that's just part of what's cooking.... 3 different kinds of casseroles and everyone is bringing a dish to pass. Since I seem to have the biggest chunk in the family I usually bring more food than most though [​IMG]

10. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I am thinking that I am ready for it to be over...I have to cook at home cause hubby says..lol he loves turkey and dressing... so we are cooking on wed. thursday I have to go too two houses... and friday going to MIL for more turkey...If I didn't love her I wouldn't go... at least I will have sat and sun. to recover...thank god my christmas will be less hectic

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by