Who's setting eggs today (St. Pattys Day) ?? ??

Well, I couldn't resist candling my Day 4 eggs any longer and took a quick peek this morning...

They're tough eggs to candle. They're varying shades of light brown, small, and very thick - I was surprised, because these shells must be thicker than my duck eggs, and they're much harder to candle than the last batch of Bantam Cochin eggs I received!

That being said, of the 11 eggs, I'm pretty sure I have 2 clears - the rest have done something, but it's too early to tell what.

They're being auto-turned, humidity's stable at 45%, and the temperature is rock-solid at 99.5 (I trust my Brinsea Octagon 20 completely, I hardly ever glance at the temp. anymore).

17 days to go!
smile.png

Quote:
Well, then I guess my obsessive candling will be for the both of us!

I candled again this morning (Day 5). Of the 11 shipped eggs, 7 are showing veining! 3 are clear, and 1 is questionable - but I don't think it's "normal". I'll candle again on Tuesday morning (Day 7) and remove my clears and the questionable - I didn't have the heart to do it yet.

Quote:
Well, then I guess my obsessive candling will be for the both of us!

I candled again this morning (Day 5). Of the 11 shipped eggs, 7 are showing veining! 3 are clear, and 1 is questionable - but I don't think it's "normal". I'll candle again on Tuesday morning (Day 7) and remove my clears and the questionable - I didn't have the heart to do it yet.

7! awesome!! good luck with them for the rest of the ride!

Lock down today! We candled at day 5-6 and three looked great, one good and one not so good. But I don't know anything so I left them all in there:) I was going to candle a few days later but every time I thought of it something was going on, I couldn't find the flash light or the little one was being fussy. So I candled this morning and there's a nice size air pocket on 4 of them 1 was a lot smaller. Again I've never done this before so I left them all in there. I sniffed but they all smell the same to me. I put them in a half egg carton with the bottoms cut out, made some slits and poked some holes so there's enough air circulation. I placed them so the air pocket was up, which I hope was the right way? Our temp has been constant, our humidity 50-55. I put a little water in and it's up to almost 60. How's every one else doing?

I just laid paper towels under the eggs - reading and apparently they need this so the ones not out don't get knocked around ?
This is nerve wracking
he.gif

So many different things
Total Lockdown not until 2:30 this afternoon

Now I wonder is the humidity right - I don't want to drown them or dry them out
barnie.gif

I need to stop reading I keep reading more and more

Oh these poor babies with a neurotic mother
gig.gif

anyone else this nervous ?
Will say 1st time incubator - I did hatch under a broody it was much easier
thumbsup.gif