Who's the boss

LER23

Songster
Aug 21, 2023
Willamette Valley, Oregon
I am trying to figure out which of my hens is the boss lady. Can people tell me what kinds of behaviors indicate who the head hen is? I used to think that my white leghorn was head honchette. She was laid back but the other hens seemed to follow her lead. Now I am thinking that my big EE, Alvira, might be the one: she is the one who gives me a peck on the back of the calf when I come into the yard (either for attention or to demand treats). Last night after I'd cooped them at dark, when I went out to close the door into the run and turn off the coop light, all hens were roosting except for Alvira. She was facing the door to the run, which I had just closed, as if on alert for a possible threat. I am puzzled, which is why I ask for the experience of others in this matter.

Sometimes I think the pecking order is more circular than linear. Maybe @azygous can help us out here.
Circular -- that's a good way to put what I've seen. I haven't had enough experience to have any real insight, but this question puzzles me too. From what I can see, the hens in this nomadic free range flock that visits me daily take turns assuming power. There are 2 roosters in the flock and they don't even seem to know who's in charge when these hens get going. lol

I am trying to figure out which of my hens is the boss lady. Can people tell me what kinds of behaviors indicate who the head hen is? I used to think that my white leghorn was head honchette. She was laid back but the other hens seemed to follow her lead. Now I am thinking that my big EE, Alvira, might be the one: she is the one who gives me a peck on the back of the calf when I come into the yard (either for attention or to demand treats). Last night after I'd cooped them at dark, when I went out to close the door into the run and turn off the coop light, all hens were roosting except for Alvira. She was facing the door to the run, which I had just closed, as if on alert for a possible threat. I am puzzled, which is why I ask for the experience of others in this matter.
The pecking order can be circular but most often there is a “head” hen who is over all the rest, except if you own roosters. In that case roosters (except in special instances) are always the head of the flock. Depending on personality the top hen is not always bossy, in fact in my current flock my leading hen is very laid back. Size does not matter when it comes to who is at the top, I have had some of my smallest chickens be most aggressive towards the flock and Vice versa. To find out the pecking order of your flock takes time with them. When you are with your flock watch the way they interact with each other. Try bringing them some kind of treat, sprinkle it in one small space and watch to see who dominates that space. If it is something you dominate hen really likes you will soon find out who she is. Concerning the chicken facing the door in my opinion that doesn’t have anything to do with the pecking order.

The pecking order can be circular but most often there is a “head” hen who is over all the rest, except if you own roosters. In that case roosters (except in special instances) are always the head of the flock. Depending on personality the top hen is not always bossy, in fact in my current flock my leading hen is very laid back. Size does not matter when it comes to who is at the top, I have had some of my smallest chickens be most aggressive towards the flock and Vice versa. To find out the pecking order of your flock takes time with them. When you are with your flock watch the way they interact with each other. Try bringing them some kind of treat, sprinkle it in one small space and watch to see who dominates that space. If it is something you dominate hen really likes you will soon find out who she is. Concerning the chicken facing the door in my opinion that doesn’t have anything to do with the pecking order.
I have been watching when they eat and def know who is at the bottom. No rooster, due to ordinances. Of the 3 hens that are "in the running", they will all share the same treat pile, and I put out one or 2 more piles to make sure that my bottom 3 get their share.

It's usually a state secret as to which chicken is the alpha. It's not the bully or the one that always lobbies you for attention and treats or necessarily the oldest or the rooster.

You can get a hint by observing the flock dynamics for an hour or two at your leisure, if you're lucky enough to possess any of that commodity. Look for the chicken that steps in when two hens have a squabble and gives a warning peck to the aggressor. Put out a treat and watch which chickens assume the right to eat first. At roosting time, the higher the chicken is in the flock order, usually the higher she gets to perch, and it's almost always an outside or end spot. She often roosts first. The lowest members roost last, eat last, etc. But it's almost always an older established member of the flock that is alpha, and she will exhibit a high degree of self confidence and cool presence.

Can people tell me what kinds of behaviors indicate who the head hen is?
Look for the enforcer and then see who she gives way to. Part of the leadership skill set is having others do your dirty work.:D
Roosting first is one indication if there are no males.
Who feeds first is a bit simple. It's often more who gets the choice of what's available.
The so called pecking order can be misleading. One tends to think of something fixed and linear. It's a lot more fluid than that in my experience. Some hens float in the order. Often it's the hens that have hatched chicks. They get hierachy points for being or having been a mother.
Sometimes one gets the fighter. They tend to slide around the order depending on who they beat up last. I've ad a couple of those. The top hen avoids confrontation with the fighting hens and the enforcer may well have taken the fighter on and lost. However, in my experience the fighter doesn't take the place in the hierachy of the loser.

Back
Top Bottom