Whose at the bottom of your pecking order

Quote:
I have an EE roo about the same my dad gave up on because he had terrible cocci and almost died several times so he lived indoors for a long time with me to babysit him.
He is still afraid of chickens and runs from them all and they take advantage of it. Even the smaller mallard ducks pick on him.

Even though he is getting larger he wants us to pick him up and carry him around like when he was small.

HennyPenny, one of the EEs used to be at the bottom, now she's up one peg over poor Queenie, one of my BO hens, who will not leave her perch if anyone else is in the coop, because they all beat on her. It's awful, I have to feed her separately and give her her own water, they won't leave her alone. I hate this pecking order stuff. Maybe this spring when I add six or so hens I'll shake it up again and she won't be so picked on.

Well at the moment it goes (1st is the least picked on or top dog)
1st- New Hampshire/Scarrlet (I'm placing her here because she is rarely picked on, but luckily she doesn't pick on anyone else, she's sweet)
2nd- Welsummer/Summer (She's mean and picks on everyone brutily)
3rd- Silkie/Phantom (Meaner than my other rooster, good to his hens, and gets picked on by Summer)
4rth- Ameraucana/Robbin (She's shy, and good friends with Summer, gets picked on quite a bit, and really loves to pick on lower "inmates")
5th- Silkie/Mr. Fluffikinz (Cocky, not as nice to the hens as Phantom, gets picked on)
6th- Australorp/Jade (She's shy, gets picked on by everyone)
7th- Silkie/Angel (She loves to be by herself, and loves to be broody, she's the best layer laying around 4 to 6 eggs a week, get's picked on a lot but is protected by her men [she's their favorite
tongue.png
])
Everything is going to change next spring, Angel is going to actually hatch some eggs, and I think I'm going to buy some more...
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hmmm...how old are yours, 'cause I STILL don't have it down yet either. I swear, I think they keep changing order (is that possible?)!! Even top dog seems to change - I use to think maybe my black australorp was in charge, but now I think it's my GLW (whom I thought was one of the bottom three a few weeks ago). All of them are still doing quite a bit of chest butting and neck stretching here and there, but other than those times, they all get along really well as far as I can tell. Mine are almost 14 weeks, so I would have thought it'd be obvious by now...
hu.gif

They will be 23 weeks old on Monday. We let them out and they still run around and chest thump each other and do the frantic pullet wing flapping thing lol

My poor Marans hen, she's never even gets close to the feeder when others are around... She's also flighty as all get out.

Marans2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the Leghorns. She has a floppier comb and it looks like they peck on her head. She's not too frightly or anything.

The babies are lower than anybody, but they kindof have their own order among themselves.

It ain't noticable with mine. The bantams all fuss, but they have room to run. The two that are odd bird out are my fawn silver duckwing hens.

Back
Top Bottom