Whose egg is this?

My guess is that the Wyandotte laid it.

Usually, Wyandottes lay a lighter egg, but with it being smaller as it is the pigment may be more concentrated.

I think the one on the left here may be a cockerel. The hackle feathers look rather pointed.
img_2721-jpg.1240822
Agreed. The combs and wattles are quite large as well.

Yes it is a normal colored egg. But the question is, which breed is that color normal for?

Y'all are responding so fast I can't keep up hahaha.

Yes. I raised the Barred and SLW chicks together, both hens and roosters. Then added them all to the a new enclosure yesterday, so they stay together. Just hard to get a picture without them all in it.

Yes it is a normal colored egg. But the question is, which breed is that color normal for?

Y'all are responding so fast I can't keep up hahaha.

Yes. I raised the Barred and SLW chicks together, both hens and roosters. Then added them all to the a new enclosure yesterday, so they stay together. Just hard to get a picture without them all in it.
That color is normal for either Barred Rocks and Wyandottes. Egg color is genetic, but egg shade is based on the quality and specific strain of breed you have.
Just remember the correct rooster hen ratio :)

I would say it’s more normal for a SLW to have that color egg when they begin to lay. Because BR eggs are much lighter. And the SLW looks like she would be ready to lay.

I added them in with my main layer flock. These are just the "babies" in the picture. So the 3 young roosters are in with over 30 hens, not worried about that ratio.

With the hawk problem here, I like to keep a few extras. Hoping these sweet boys will turn out to be good protectors too.

14. Yolk-less egg aka fart egg, fairy egg, witch egg, rooster egg or oops eggs

These tiny eggs may or may not have a yolk. Yolk-less fart eggs are often called rooster eggs. These little eggs are often much darker than normal, as they spend more time in the shell gland pouch and gets an extra layer or two of pigment. These yolk-less eggs sometimes form when:

- The hen's oviduct releases a small piece of reproductive tissue or another small foreign mass enters the hen's oviduct, triggering the regular formation of an egg. The foreign object will be treated like a normal yolk and enveloped in albumen, membranes and a shell;

- Occasionally a hen will also lay a fart egg when something disturbs her reproductive cycle;

14. Yolk-less egg aka fart egg, fairy egg, witch egg, rooster egg or oops eggs

These tiny eggs may or may not have a yolk. Yolk-less fart eggs are often called rooster eggs. These little eggs are often much darker than normal, as they spend more time in the shell gland pouch and gets an extra layer or two of pigment. These yolk-less eggs sometimes form when:

- The hen's oviduct releases a small piece of reproductive tissue or another small foreign mass enters the hen's oviduct, triggering the regular formation of an egg. The foreign object will be treated like a normal yolk and enveloped in albumen, membranes and a shell;

- Occasionally a hen will also lay a fart egg when something disturbs her reproductive cycle;
Great Info. I agree.

Found a perfect brown egg yesterday!! :D Surprised to find out it was the Barred rock pullet. I have been watching them nonstop, and finally caught her on the nest laying.

She ended up skipping a day, then laid a perfect big egg the same color as the "tiny egg". Always exciting when my babies start to lay!

Mystery solved! Can't wait to see what my SLW girls give me. :)

Back
Top Bottom