1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whose eggs? Polish or Duck?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PowellAnimals, Dec 1, 2015.

1. PowellAnimals

PowellAnimals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    Muncy, Pennsylvania
    For the past few weeks I thought my two Polish hens were laying but based on the differences in the eggs now I am second guessing myself. The eggs I get everyday are small white eggs and large white eggs that appear to be dirtier but that is indeed their color. I have two Polish, a Silkie, a duck that was sold to me as a Runner but looks like a Cayuga, and two Dominiques all older than 20 weeks old. I have seen one of the Polish lay the small white egg and the other Polish has been crouching and doing the egg song for weeks so I assumed those two were laying and I thought the younger Polish would eventually lay the larger eggs. However, it has been about over a week of the smaller eggs and today I found two small eggs. Is it possible the duck is laying the larger eggs or is it possible for the eggs from the same breed to be that different?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    One sure fire way to tell a chicken egg from a duck egg is the texture. A duck egg is smooth. When you try and crack a duck egg it doesn't break as easily as a chicken egg because the membrane inside is stronger. Duck egg whites are thicker than a chickens egg. A duck egg can average around 65+ grams and a large chicken egg is around 50- grams. I would say your larger eggs are either double yolk chicken or duck egg (if smooth).

1 person likes this.
  3. PowellAnimals

PowellAnimals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    Muncy, Pennsylvania
    Definitely duck eggs then! Thank you so much for your response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by