Whose the culprit?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blriehl, Jul 31, 2013.

1. blriehl

blriehl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Central PA
    Just my curiosity... I have an Old English Game (?) or Japanese Bantam (?) that is laying white eggs

2. blriehl

Mar 9, 2013
    Central PA
    Sorry the other post submitted before I got to finish...

(My hens just started laying)

But yesterday and today I got two brown eggs. I cannot catch her in the act! She lays them outside and so it's hard to tell. The only ones it could be is a White Crested Polish, a Porcelain Belgian D'Uccle, or a "Silkie" hen. Either of those I read only lay white eggs. Curious for thoughts!

Here's my Silkie hen I could see laying them
    [​IMG]

Here's the egg:
    [​IMG]

3. blriehl

Mar 9, 2013
    Central PA
    [​IMG]

Would you consider her to be Japanese or OEG?

4. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    HUmmm..Interesting...Might have to wait until it hatches.Or do you have any roos? .
    You sure you dont have some other sneaky little hen hiding in your nest box? Is the Silkie a mix? or are any of yours? That could explain the tan egg. Maybe your hands are small but to me looks sort of large for a Silkie egg or D Uccle either

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  5. blriehl

Mar 9, 2013
    Central PA
    Darn! I didn't even think about letting it hatch to find out :) But then no one was siting on it :(
    It did seem large, but my Silkie is "large" I or her from tractor supply this spring and I don't think she is a full breed.

6. blriehl

Mar 9, 2013
    Central PA
    Also, I have larger hands... For a girl :) but I forgot to mention I have 12 week old Wynadotte chicks. But they can't be laying already?

7. blriehl

Mar 9, 2013
    Central PA
    I am fairly certain it's my Silkie hen laying the brown egg... My husband says its impossible for a white chicken to lay a brown egg! Also, my old English game is definitely laying a white egg and they're not supposed to!

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I have all silkies and they all lay brownish eggs .my guess is its your silkies egg. I don't have a white silkie but I have blue;blacks; and partridges and all lay brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by