Why All The "Junk"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Yadda , yadda , yadda. I'm sorry but unfortunately the rest of the world is not like you or me. Yeah I grew up poor too and yeah I had to learn just like you, but that has only made me understand how others who are like I was and how they feel and see things. Everyone is not the same. As for the Home Depot thing, no one should go into debt to prove anything, at all costs. Even if it means snobby neighbors. Which by the way I endured. Not one of them ever helped me in anyway except to give me attitude. I will NOT become one of them just because I now live in a better neighborhood than they did.

Being poor is not a sin and nothing to hang your head over. "The measure of a man is not in the things he possesses". We all have things we deem important and not everyone feels the same.

We don't all have the same IQ's. We aren't all Martha Stewarts. Plenty here ask for advice and suggestions. That's what makes BYC such a great place. Unfortunately we don't all have the skills to do things other do. It's a good thing we don't or none of us would need the other. Now if someone is only here because they think it's their mission in life to fix others then perhaps this is not where they belong.

Perhaps the real response to the OP's question is another question. Why do you ask? From my perspective the OP's question is snobby. Not some of the responses to it. Why does anyone have to explain themselves to the OP? Unless the OP's motive is to roll up his sleeves and lend a hand or donate money to buy a new coop. Or better yet learn to recycle and turn a sows ear into a silk purse as some have done.

I have an older sister who has no problem coming into your house and upon seeing a remodel job or whatever and asking, " why did you do that? or "why did you paint it that color?" and then tell you what you should have done and how you should have done it. To do so is rude.

Seems to me there are alot worse problems in world that one can spend their time thinking about and working on.

Just my two cents,

Rancher

Quote:
Yadda , yadda , yadda. I'm sorry but unfortunately the rest of the world is not like you or me. Yeah I grew up poor too and yeah I had to learn just like you, but that has only made me understand how others who are like I was and how they feel and see things. Everyone is not the same. As for the Home Depot thing, no one should go into debt to prove anything, at all costs. Even if it means snobby neighbors. Which by the way I endured. Not one of them ever helped me in anyway except to give me attitude. I will NOT become one of them just because I now live in a better neighborhood than they did.

Being poor is not a sin and nothing to hang your head over. "The measure of a man is not in the things he possesses". We all have things we deem important and not everyone feels the same.

We don't all have the same IQ's. We aren't all Martha Stewarts. Plenty here ask for advice and suggestions. That's what makes BYC such a great place. Unfortunately we don't all have the skills to do things other do. It's a good thing we don't or none of us would need the other. Now if someone is only here because they think it's their mission in life to fix others then perhaps this is not where they belong.

Perhaps the real response to the OP's question is another question. Why do you ask? From my perspective the OP's question is snobby. Not some of the responses to it. Why does anyone have to explain themselves to the OP? Unless the OP's motive is to roll up his sleeves and lend a hand or donate money to buy a new coop. Or better yet learn to recycle and turn a sows ear into a silk purse as some have done.

I have an older sister who has no problem coming into your house and upon seeing a remodel job or whatever and asking, " why did you do that? or "why did you paint it that color?" and then tell you what you should have done and how you should have done it. To do so is rude.

Seems to me there are alot worse problems in world that one can spend their time thinking about and working on.

Just my two cents,

Rancher

You really should read the rest of Uncle Marc's posts. He DOES say why he was asking. He himself is building his coop out of repurposed material. He wasn't telling anyone anything. He was asking our opinion. He wasn't judging anyone.

I think a fight was being looked for, but not by the poster...

Rancher

A working toilet, a faucet that does not leak, a light fixture that is not about to catch fire are worth charging to your interest free credit card. At least to us. We had to save the cash to pay the guy to repair the plumbing.

Last edited:
Quote:

Just my two cents,

Rancher

You really should read the rest of Uncle Marc's posts. He DOES say why he was asking. He himself is building his coop out of repurposed material. He wasn't telling anyone anything. He was asking our opinion. He wasn't judging anyone.

I think a fight was being looked for, but not by the poster...

If everyone did this, there would be no negativity on this thread. The OP asked a question. He was not trying to start a riot.

Quote:
Sounds totally reasonable to me! And even if it didn't, it would be none of my darn business!
wink.png

Quote:
Right... x2.... seems to me to be awfully wasteful to use new materials when there are so many homeless out there who could benefit more from the new boards being used for dirty sh!tting birds... (sarc.)

I believe a more appropriate question for the original poster would have been... 'I am building a chicken coop out of salvaged materials. Can someone give me ideas?' instead of the rude 'Why all the junk?' IF that was what he was truly asking. I think OP actually put his foot in his mouth, and is finding out what shoe leather tastes like.....

Quote:
Right... x2.... seems to me to be awfully wasteful to use new materials when there are so many homeless out there who could benefit more from the new boards being used for dirty sh!tting birds... (sarc.)

I believe a more appropriate question for the original poster would have been... 'I am building a chicken coop out of salvaged materials. Can someone give me ideas?' instead of the rude 'Why all the junk?' IF that was what he was truly asking. I think OP actually put his foot in his mouth, and is finding out what shoe leather tastes like.....

Sigh... Once again, did you READ the follow-up posts by the OP? Also, how is it NOT rude to criticize someone for using new materials by calling them wasteful or saying they now know what leather tastes like? I used ALL new materials for my coop. I am not a wasteful person. We strive for zero waste at this house. It was just that I didn't have the time or resources to build one.

So many replies on the thread are mean spirited. I am relatively new to this community. NOT impressed. Uncle Marc, please know that not all of us are like that!!

Last edited:
Folks, I've closed this thread, but it will remain on the forum for future viewing. I do want to take a moment to applaud some of the thoughtful posts within the thread, such as:

I think a lot of folks new to chickens see some of the fancier coops out there and feel rather pressured to "keep up with the Jones'" with their coops; and that can be pretty self-defeating, thinking you have to spend several hundred up to a few thousand for a coop.

...some people come up with pretty unique and interesting ways of recycling and/or reusing materials to create safe, low cost, "perfectly fine for chickens" coops instead. I think it's cool make good use of used/discarded materials.
However, I'm partial to "cute" coops myself, so I'd like to see the "pretty" coops that are made mostly from used/salvaged materials.

While I have seen many fantastic coops on this site(yes I am jealous) I don't feel the need to compete with anyone and I am very happy with my results.

It all depends on how fortunate one is in finding/getting good recycled building materials and ones skill, I suppose. No intention to sound haughty as not everyone has the same skill set with roofing, carpentry, and the right tools. There's no greater joy for me than taking re-cycled building materials and reusing them.

Other people's treasures look like junk to some. I try not to judge others on looks. That even means other's properties.

These are just a few random quotes that made me think....which is what BYC is about (please note that by NO means were these the only really good posts I saw). For my part, I have a super cute coop which was built by a professional builder (and a BYC member - it was a swap, and a good one at that!); a few coops built by my husband, who has good, basic carpentry skills, but is no expert; and a backyard shed which we converted to a coop. So, I've got a little of each going on. I won't say which is my favorite, as that doens't matter: what matters is that my livestock is SAFE. In the end, that's the one common denominator we should ALL share. Anything over & above that is just frosting on the cupcake, in my humble opinion.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom