Why are all these eggs double yolkers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by holliewould, Jun 19, 2008.

1. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    I just bought 4 dozen eggs from a different farmer up the road. Well the eggs are very large and every one I've cracked so far has been double yolks. What kind of chicken does this? So out of 6 eggs I cracked I have 12 yolks. Are these mutant chickens? Are they being fed something strange to produce these results?

2. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I don't know why they would all have double yolks. But one of my hens lay double yolks, she is a Rhode Island red.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My BroomHilda lays a double yolker every other day. Single yolk every day in between. She's a black sexie. Dunno why. They are very large and elongated eggs

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I know that it is considered a "flaw" to have chickens that lay double yolks, but if you are selling eggs to eat, they are a hot commodity here. [​IMG] You can get significantly more for double-yolks than single. But, you wouldn't want a chicken to try and hatch double yolks, and would either cull or separate her.

Shelly

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Usually when a pullet starts laying, they will put out double yolkers until their systems get back on track to expel one yolk at a time. If yours are young pullets, that may be the reason.

Most folks LOVE double yolk eggs, hot commidity! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by