Why are all these eggs not developing?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nupine, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I just set my first hatch of the year. About 30 eggs, maybe 5 Sebrights, 4 Wyandottes, 1 Sultan, and about 20 Black Cochins. I purchased my Black Cochin Trio at the Ohio National for a pretty penny, and I am very pleased with them. Well, I have been candling the eggs over the last couple days, and all of them are developing, except the Cochins. Out of the 20, NONE are developing and I have no clue why. The cock has some frostbite, due to my lack of knowledge last winter, although they are in a solid wood coop, no drafts. But I just read that that is a myth that frostbite can make them sterile. He also has a little eye infection, I am not sure what I can do about that, or if that could make him not sterile. He is very docile, and I am not sure if he has the drive and is breeding them. This really make me upset because I was so excited to get some chicks out of these guys. What could this be from? They are in a nice environment, and they get 18% layer ration. As far as what the eggs look like inside when I candled them at 5 days, they seem to have no air cell and are somewhat porous, but simply have no spider veins or anything else. As of right now they have not got oyster shell but I just got some today, two of the eggs had little cracks that I think occurred naturally, maybe from thin shells? Could that prevent them from developing? Hopefully someone can help.
    Ashlyn

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Maybe you need to trim the feathers around the vent area on the hens? Maybe he's not getting the job done because they are to fluffy in that area just a thought?

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im new so I really dont know much about all this but I have a few comments or qustions for you.
    Did you only candle at day five so far, it could be to early to tell , I can tell with most my eggs by day 4 or 5 but some really stump me till day 7 or 10.

Also did you test the eggs for fertility befor you set some?

And last but not least , I have read a few times on here that people have to clip the feathers around fuzzy chickens vents becuase all there fuzz can interfear with the deed.

Some one that knows a ton more then me will most likely be along shortly. Good luck.

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Quote:That was my first thought too, since I know that can be a problem with breeding Cochins. You might consider AI (There is a video somewhere.... you tube?) that shows how to do this. It actually looks ridiculously easy. Or you might want to collect some semen and have your vet look at it under the 'scope to see if your roo is indeed fertile.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

5. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Quote:wear gloves just in case there has been a recent "attempt"

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

That's exactly the problem. They get SOOOO fluffy around the rump that the roosters kinda miss.

7. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I would have never thought! Thanks a bunch! [I will do it after the show the hens are going to tomorrow though, but then I won't have a show till August so all will be good]
    Ashlyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by