Why are Coturnix Quail so friendly.....................?

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
Does anyone else enjoy their funny antics and beautiful male call as well as how they seem so friendly.............. I can go out into the aviary and pick them right up, they give me that look like HI, GOT FOOD?
he he......They always seem happy and up to something...... they are always watching me and seeing what I'm up to, they are so funny......

Last edited:
Though I don't agree with the males 'beautiful' call, I do love how curious and friendly they are. Though mine would probably eat me if they were in a walk-in pen and I fell while bringing their food
hide.gif

Well, I'm just speculating here, but since they have many colors, including white, buff, etc., I would also suggest that they have inherited a gene for docile behavior.

'Nova' or 'Nature' did an episode about domesticating the dog a few years ago, and I caught a rerun of it a couple weeks back. Russian geneticists in the 1950's through the 1970's worked extensively with foxes, trying to develop more docile foxes that would do better in captivity for fur farming (poor things, but that's a whole 'nother issue).

Anyway, they bred for the foxes that were the least agressive and most docile. After a few generations, not only did their behavior change, but suddenly the pups were born with all kinds of colors and patterns, including a lot of white.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...b9et6N&sig=AHIEtbRSTdWM2I6EpEwWmyvGdWKwqUp0bQ

I honestly think my Coturnix are at least as friendly as my chickens. They really are fun, and it's cute to watch them come running up to see what I'm bringing them. A far cry from any other quail I've ever known or heard of, for the most part.

Curiously, my button quail have all of the exact same color patterns, basically, but they are still very wild and timid acting.

Quote:
LOL............. mine know that I don't eat anything I raise, so they are all safe. I had thought about breeding them to sell, but I'd be stuck with all of them. I had one little girl sitting on about 10 eggs for a long time..... she finally gave up, first one that's ever gone broody.

Back
Top Bottom