Why are Feeders/Waterers red?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by capebird, Dec 12, 2011.

1. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    I notice a lot of feeders and waterers are red... not all red... but you most likely know what I mean.
    I'm curious... does anyone know of any significance for this color choice....are hens attracted to red....???
    Thanks of your thoughts.

2. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    chickens might see red eassier i don't know

3. corgiscatsandchickens

corgiscatsandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    Quote:Pretty sure it's because chickens are attracted to red, which is also why you have to put BlueKote (sp?) or something similar on them if they get a bloody spot, to keep the others from pecking it more.

4. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    oh

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Chickens have an ingrained behavior to peck at anything red, especially blood. Its why there's so much trouble with them pecking at each other under stress. And its why we recommend red bulbs when they do so. If everything is red, they cannot differentiate.

6. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Yep chickens are drawn to the color red and peck at it so for chicks especially they make the feeders and waterers red to better show the chicks were the food and water is because they'll go to it and peck at it because its red and "oh well this is food and water!" That's what I've always thought the little chicks say to themselves anyways! Lol [​IMG]

7. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Galvanized chicken feed and water containers are not red. I always figured red plastic was used because it was easier for the humans to find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by