Why are many coops elevated off the ground

fairytails

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 21, 2012
Minneapolis
I do not want to make an awful design decision with my first coop. Why are so many I see on the site, up off the ground by a foot or two on stilt-like construction? Does this make for better ventilation? Are you putting a wire floor in or solid? Does it keep snakes out?
Or is it just easier to build using posts sunk in the ground or in properly prepared concrete footings, than to lay a concrete slab or pray treated floor joists do not rot.

Partly I ask because I am considering putting part of the coop under a deck. That space is only about 4 feet tall, and if I elevated the coop then it could be too short for me to get in to clean. But if the elevating is required, please let me know and I will foget about that site even though my best option.

My coop i'm currently building is elevated for a few reasons.

1.) This will put my nesting boxes at waist height when completed.
2.) My run is mostly in the full sun so i wanted a place for the girls to find some shade.
3.) Also will be there first pen when they are to small to roam the real run because of daytime predators.

What i have found out thru my research is that there really is no right or wrong. Just what works best for your situation. Besides you can always change it later if you find out its now working out how you thought it would.

Good Luck!

My hens shelter under giving more outside room . Floor is dryer. Waist high is easier for me to clean, just park the wheelbarrow under the door.

My reason is mathmatical. Large fowl need 4 sq. ft.per bird inside of the house if they need to be enclosed nightly or for stretches in the adverse weather. They need 10 sq. ft. per bird outside to prevent crowding stress issues.(bantams? Just cut the numbers in 1/2) If I raise my coop, I get to count the space beneath in the yard math. This means more yard space for extra runs of I want them. Also, I tack vinyl clear, frosted carpet runner acround the three sides outside the run around the bottom of the house; and underneath the house becomes a shade and fowl weather shelter in case they don't want to go inside. Also a neat place for a dusting box which won't get wet when it rains or snows.
Best,
Karen

Greetings to you! I have my coop elevated 32" off the ground. This means that my roosts actually are around the 4' or 5' mark. Its been my understanding chickens like to sit up high when they roost so this is about as high as I figure a chicken would get in nature. My hen boxes are actually about chest height so cleaning requires a step-stool(an oversight on my part). I suspect chickens would be ok with being under your deck, my only concern is depending on how big the deck is are they getting enough sunlight? On a side note I live in the Pacific northwest(30 min from the ocean) so keeping the wood off the ground potentially triples its life span. To help with wood lifespan I also used only pressure treated wood on the legs only as I have read pressure treated wood leaks poison into veggies so maybe it would get to the chickens? Either way good luck and I would love to see a pic of what you came up with.

Last edited:
I was worried about this too. But I decided to do DLM with a dirt floor so mine is on the ground. I did make a 6" base for it to sit on though to elevate the dirt in case of any rain run off.

Back
Top Bottom