Why are most of my jumbos male?

beakmaster

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 3, 2013
Panama City, Florida
We hatched 11 jumbo 8weeks ago and 50+ A&Ms about 7 weeks ago.... I have figured out all but 2 of my jumbos are males. Are there factors during incubation that will make it more likely to get more of one sex than the other? I am hoping my A&Ms are not the same ratio.... I was hoping to get atleast 20 females. The A&Ms incubation did run a bit hot (new incubator) and they hatched early but the incubator the jumbos were in were spot on. I am hoping this was just a fluke and that it won't reoccur in my A&Ms. I am on the edge on my seat to find out, maybe someone can help calm my fears. If its not obvious by this point, beakmaster was just a catchy handle...

Odds are just odds. I hardly ever get a hatch that is split 50-50 for sex, 2/3 is the more likely split and that could be either sex. I’m talking chickens but quail are the same.

The female parent sets the sex when she gives her genes to the egg. That’s determined before the eggs are even fertilized. In spite of all the urban myths you may hear, you cannot change the sex during incubation.

That can happen with certain reptiles, but you are not talking about reptiles.

Still talking chickens but recently I had 5 out of 7 hatch male. A few years back I had 7 out of 7 female. It’s just the odds.

Last edited:
We hatched 11 jumbo 8weeks ago and 50+ A&Ms about 7 weeks ago.... I have figured out all but 2 of my jumbos are males. Are there factors during incubation that will make it more likely to get more of one sex than the other? I am hoping my A&Ms are not the same ratio.... I was hoping to get atleast 20 females. The A&Ms incubation did run a bit hot (new incubator) and they hatched early but the incubator the jumbos were in were spot on. I am hoping this was just a fluke and that it won't reoccur in my A&Ms. I am on the edge on my seat to find out, maybe someone can help calm my fears. If its not obvious by this point, beakmaster was just a catchy handle...
Got the same problem here buddy and it seems like there is no explenation. 95% of my birds are males!

If its not obvious by this point, beakmaster was just a catchy handle...
I know exactly what you mean... I was going to make mine, "James, the Almighty and Powerful Quail King of the Universe", but after giving it some serious thought, what I came up with "fits".

Back
Top Bottom