Why are my chickens dying?

I do hope they haven't infected the rest of your flock.  

Ditto. The idea with quarantine is no contact with your flock for 6 weeks, with these I would have done six weeks of healthy. I hope the rooster can't get back in with your existing flock? Or is he it? Or whatever these have so will they and you could loose the lot.

I think I would be worming them as well. If the mites weren't taken care of there is a goodf chance they will have internal parasites too. The ivermectin will kill some but not all types of worms so do a search to find the wormer will take care of the rest. (Sorry can't remember the name)

Good luck!

It's almost been 4 weeks. I have 4 birds left and none of them are showing signs of illness except for the one that just suffered an eye injuring and I can hear her breathing somethings, so I don't know if I should watch to see if the rooster gets sick for another week before letting all the birds out or what? There is a little poo on their butts, so we'll wash their butts to see if they are still having dierhea but I watched a few take dumps and they look normal like my chicken's poop

Last edited by a moderator:
They wouldn't be going near my flock till they had been PERFECTLY healthy for six weeks, or more. With some symptoms such as dirty butts and breathing there is no way in hell I'd be letting them mix and the rooster wouldn't be near my other flock either.

Worm them with a different wormer than ivermectin and if another dies get it autopsied. Will be cheaper than replacing your entire flock.

Are you sure the eye is an injury and not related to the breathing. I had one with a nasty bug that the main thing I noticed was the eye with breathing. Because their sinus is linked it was quite swollen. The vet put her down and when she opened her up said it was amazing she could even breathe she was so full of gunk and we spent a few sleepless weeks waiting to see if the others would get it too as the vet was concerned it was a very contagious thing.

Last edited:
They wouldn't be going near my flock till they had been PERFECTLY healthy for six weeks, or more. With some symptoms such as dirty butts and breathing there is no way in hell I'd be letting them mix and the rooster wouldn't be near my other flock either.

Worm them with a different wormer than ivermectin and if another dies get it autopsied. Will be cheaper than replacing your entire flock.

Are you sure the eye is an injury and not related to the breathing. I had one with a nasty bug that the main thing I noticed was the eye with breathing. Because their sinus is linked it was quite swollen. The vet put her down and when she opened her up said it was amazing she could even breathe she was so full of gunk and we spent a few sleepless weeks waiting to see if the others would get it too as the vet was concerned it was a very contagious thing.
There was blood on her eye, so I can only assume the rooster might have done it? I didn't hear her breathing weird today or see her doing anything unusual.

I am concerned besides the obvious outside parasites, and possible internal ones you may have exposed your flock to a Respiratory Disease, there are several and without blood work it will be hard to know exactly which one... but here is an example of one, incubation and effects it can have: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...ction-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens Besides maintaining quarantine which I would extend now to at least 8 additional weeks, Please make sure you read the articles on Quarantine in BYC.

Update: all their butts have been clean, I don't smell diahhrea nor see any. I will watch their butts, I don't hear the chicken breathing anymore with the eye but today it was still closed, but not swollen either.

Back
Top Bottom