Why are my Chickens not laying eggs?

Pics
It’s good for chickens to have natural day light. Artificial light has no benefits for their health if you use this for egg production. A period with less light during and after molt is natural. I think (believe) its good for chickens to have a recovery period.

If you live near or above the pole circle I can imagine it is a good thing to give chickens extra light during the day. Because this is nog their natural habitat. You could provide a natural spectrum light for about 8 - 10 hours a day in december and a few hours more in the months before and after.

I had a hard time getting my hens to lay when we got them. What I did was make a mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother, Honey and freshly minced garlic cloves. I use a five gallon waterer so my measurements may not work for you but I use 2 cups of vinegar, 1 cup of honey and 1 whole garlic knob minced and add it to their water. After I did that, all of my hens went into lay, their allergies got better and all their combs and waddles got super bright red. The flock really likes that added to their water. I do it once every two weeks.

So you encourage a light in winter months for them??
I’ve read where some say it’s not healthy they need a break, etc and don’t let them have artificial light.
(New to chickens so would like to know before winter.)
Sort for the long time to reply… Yes, I’ve heard those arguments, but chickens are originally from the jungles and arid environments along the equator where the daylight hours don’t fluctuate as much, and they also last year round in the wild… I think we have disrupted their natural bio-rhythm when we domesticated them. As for the artificial light, every month I check the sunset time and adjust my timer switch for 14 hours of daylight… The type of light is important. Chickens can see far into the infrared spectrum, so lighting was hard decades ago, but now we have full-spectrum LED lights, which is great, although a regular LED light off fine, just check the box and grab a bulb that says, “Cool”, not warm light. Also, you don’t have to light-up the coop. A 15 watt equivalent bulb is fine. They don’t actually “wake-up” when the light goes on, it just wakes up their bio clock. And add the extra light in the morning, not at night… They need that sunset time…
Good Luck,
+Blessing
Rev. Dr. Lee

There is more that happened after the chickens have rehomed in/after the golden age than the difference in light. The temperature and food is quit different too. Original chickens lay only 20 eggs a year.
Over the years most chickens have adapted to their new climate/ surroundings. Breeding programs made chickens lay about 60 eggs a year, around 1900. Most heritage breeds lay 60-180 eggs nowadays. The commercial breeds and hybrids go up to 240 - 350 eggs a year.
Therefore I dare not say that adding artificial light is more natural for them if you provide the right spectrum at the right time.
I think it harmful and unhealthy for chickens to lay an extreme amount of eggs. But if you give the chickens the time to moult and recover in autumn its probably okay to add artificial light. I plan to do this from Xmass on when the days are lengthening anyway. Because I like to avoid buying store eggs from chickens that have a poor life.

Back
Top Bottom