Why are my Chickens not laying eggs?

Pics

eslyder92

Chirping
May 9, 2021
Palatine,IL
I have a quick question. Its my first time raising chickens so maybe I am doing something wrong.

My hens are going on 2 years old and I still have not had them lay one egg. They have access to grit and oyster shells as well as being on a diet that is suppose to aid in egg laying but I still have no eggs. My Buff Orpington was in the nesting box yesterday acting broody but there was no egg under her. What am I doing wrong?

Not a single egg in 2 years? Could we get some pictures of your chickens, I'm wondering if you have roosters rather than hens.
GWmk7N6Nr0U8zxGKCLQZnqz91UnCPq4pUa9eq70i.jpeg

What do they eat? What breeds? Do they get to roam around? Are you certain they're girls?
I have Lavender Opringtons, They have a large run as I live in the city they can't freerange., They get oyster shells, layer pellets, a feed formuated to egg laying, and grubs. Yes they are girls 100% certain of it.

I have Lavender Opringtons, They have a large run as I live in the city they can't freerange., They get oyster shells, layer pellets, a feed formuated to egg laying, and grubs. Yes they are girls 100% certain of it.
Hmmm, they could have a hidden nest or they eat their eggs. Or you have duds, some hens don't lay. Did you get them all from the same place? It could be genetic.

Hmmm, they could have a hidden nest or they eat their eggs. Or you have duds, some hens don't lay. Did you get them all from the same place? It could be genetic.
One of them is from a flock I got at a feed store and she was the only one who made it to adulthood the other 3 are from a family farm in Wisconsin.

So the picture that you posted is the bird at approximately 1 year old? Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like that bird may not have hit maturity for some reason. Usually you end up with a decent amount of redness in comb and wattle by the time they hit maturity.

As for the pelvis check, never done it myself, but we have a pretty good article here for that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Back
Top Bottom