Why are my chickens scared fo me??

Quote:
gig.gif
Sorry dear, that's a squat! They think you are their roo!

Cause you eat chickens? (Unless your a vegetarian that's probably true) Now if someone said "Yes I eat humans but I don't feel like eating you". How safe would you feel? You are a giant chicken eating predator and you have to spend some time showing them you really won't eat them. Same with all prey animals.

I have experimented on several batches of chicks to produce nice tame pet-type girls. Here is what worked the best for me.

1) when teeny-weeny babies, from day two: line a small bucket or box with a towel, plunk all babies (I had six) in box. Sit on couch, watch mindless T.V. and pick up EVERY chick gently FROM THE BOTTOM (scoop) NOT FROM THE TOP. Hold, cuddle say sweet things for a minue, then on to the next chick until all have been handled two or three times. Wear nice soft sweaters and cover the chicks with part of your sweater while you pet them. I only handled the the teeny babies for maybe a minute each twice a day- then longer as they got older.

2) Teach them a treat call early. in the brooder I use little handfulls of canary seed and "chick, chick, chick" to call them with the same tone, same words every time. At least once a day.

3) Practice calling them while you sit on the floor, while they are loose ( I used my kitchen due to linolium) Pick them up ALOT from underneath and put them down again while there are treats around.

My brooder is next to my computer, so I had short sessions with my chicks twice a day for the first couple of weeks. Now I have 12 week-olds who run or fly to me when they hear the treat call and allow me to pick them up for transport. They are friendly breeds: DeUccles, japs and cochins. I am a horse trainer, so I figured that the same things that work with horses would work with chickens: early, kind, consistant handling. It is more work for the first bit, but it sticks.

Hope this helps

We have an EE pullet that is about 7 months old now and where we have held her so much if we do not pick her up she will flog your leg until you do pick her up and pet her. After we pick her up and hold her she is fine. that poor little thing loves being held she always has, even when she was a baby she wanted to lay in your hand everytime the brooder was opened up. We get tickled at her when Dh goes to feed her in the evening. she will flog the heck out of his leg till he puts the feed bucket down and picks her up, after he gets her and loves on her a little bit she wants down so she can eat.

When people come to see my chickens they can't believe how friendly they are. They all come running to me. I hand feed them treats a lot. I also spend a lot of time just sitting and talking to them. I can pick up almost every one of mind and I have about 20 right now.

Last Spring we got our first 18 chicks. 12 buff orp and 6 EE pullets. We had a brooder in the house where they had "birds eye views" (pardon the pun) of all of the going's on in the family.

Then when they grew enough feathers and the weather was warm we put them out in the run during the day.

Our three preteen kids would beg to go out and "play" with the chickens and I'd let them. Those chickens got so used to being handled (and sometimes manhandled) that you can now light a firecracker under them and I doubt they'd blink. (And no I am not from Texas)

Of course we gave them lots of treats and talked to them all the time, too. They just got real used to us. Very often, I'd just take a cup of coffee and go outside and sit with the ladies.

A lot of exposure to being handled and lots of TLC will create some fine pets out of chickens. We have a couple of hens who insist on being picked up and petted. They won't take no for an answer!

I would swear, too, that they get jealous of one another! It is hard to imagine that an animal whose brain is probably much smaller than an English walnut can feel that kind of emotion....but I know they do!

At any rate, spend time with your birds, bring them treats so they associate you with good stuff and love on 'em all you can.

I recently brought home a bunch of production egg birds who spent most of their first 5 mos sitting in groups of 3-4 in small cages and let me tell you, they are skittish!

I hope they aren't too old to come around! I think that the calmness and tameness of our existing flock will help.

Good Luck!

They do get calmer as they get older. I sometimes sit with mine and have some treats handy. They will jump in my lap for a treat.

Lots of good ideas & suggestions for taming chicks/chickens into "PETS"...

Am new to chickens, but VERY experienced in animal training, handling, etc., etc... And one philosophy holds true REGARDLESS of species:

In order to have an animal really WANT to interact with you the POSITIVE must outweigh the NEGATIVE.

This is *NOT* to imply that anyone here is trying to be "mean" or "scary" to their chickies... Everyone I've seen on BYC seems to want nothing but the best for their feathered friends!!

It IS, however, a matter of perspective... You kinda gotta "think like a chicken"; what ARE they, how do they naturally behave, what is SCARY (large things rushing towards them, things swooping down from above, being alone, etc.) and what is safe & pleasant (FOOD, companionship, slow-moving "smaller" stuff, etc.).

If you can get them to make the initial association that YOU=POSITIVE (by sitting quietly, just spending time around them, treats on hand, etc.), and minmize the YOU=NEGATIVE (from THEIR point of view!!) by being careful not to startle them, looming above them, loud noises, etc... I'm sure they will come around.

Also be careful not to accidentally "punish" them, for example if sitting quietly & one DOES get brave and come over to investigate, get a treat or whatever, reaching out to pet or pick it up may be considered "negative" by the bird if he/she is not ready for it yet. ("I got brave and went over to her, but she SCARED me, so I don't know if I wanna do THAT again...")

After you establish the initial YOU=POSITIVE, they will tolerate and probably come to enjoy, more & more "hands on" interaction.

Something else that was already mentioned, is using a specific sound, words, whistle... whatever, but something easily recognizable by the chickens, that they can learn to associate with POSITIVE, food probably being the easiest choice as a "reward"... Use the sound/whistle EVERY time you feed them or toss in treats, will be a good start/useful tool in training them to come to you!!!

Good luck!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom