Why are my chickens screaming at me.....OMG

Chickiemom1012

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Denmark
OK-

I had one hean that started laying about 6 weeks ago and then promptly quit 2 weeks ago and decided to go broody... we're still working on that. But starting yesterday 3-4 of the girls have started up with the obnoxious clucking-screeching. I ran outside three times yesterday thinking something was after them while they were ranging only to find them on the porch starinf at me screaming. I am sitting out here today with the computer and luch and they are up to the same stuff!!!!! Is this mornrmal. They have all been relatively quiet up until now Except the the one that started laying earlier!!!!

Could they all be getting ready to lay??

I have one who just screams her head off. She is just bossy and wants them to come inside. Others scream cause someone is in the nest they want. Though there are 4 or 5 other nest they could use they want the one that's occupied at that time. Nutters all of them. I once had two hens side by side. I thought the only things females did together was go to the ladies room apparently they also like to have company laying eggs. Nutters I tell ya, just nutters.

i don't know.
idunno.gif
If they are screaming at you, they must want something from you. Maybe they want your lunch? Did you bring enough to share?
smile.png

i have one silkie hen that would stand and scream - GA, GA, GA, GA, GA, GA,GA, GA, GA, (x a million x all day long). It was especially convenient when we were trying to sell our house last year. i'm sure she drove off more than one prospective buyer. Probably lost a few more when people walked past the pen to see a grown woman inside holding a chicken beak closed.

Finally figure out that she wanted to lay an egg and wanted some privacy. Came upon this quite by accident when i got frustrated and stuffed her inside a hutch inside our shed and closed the door. Came back a while later to find she had happily made a snuggy nest for herself and was busy laying and egg.

So now all i have to do to stop her screaming is carry HRH into her own private and secluded nest box, then carry her back to the pen when she's done. That's all.

Do you have a rooster? If not - you're it! They are teenage girls with raging hormones. Are they squatting for you? If so, pet them hard on their backs for a minute and they will be happy again. They need some "attention" from you
wink.png

Is is cluck cluck cluck cluck BAGAWWWWWWKKK?

If so, that's the egg song. It can be VERY loud and you can even have a chorus of several of them going at once.

My 2 Sebbie Geese were doing the same thing this morning, It made me think of all the people who write how LOUD their chickens are, they must not have Geese!!
gig.gif

I kept telling them to keep it down, I was right there listening to them, they didn't need to Scream at me!!
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom