Why are my chickens sleeping here?!

TSWisla

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2016
All 5 of my chickens are sleeping on top of each other, literally! They have all bunched up on the edge of a piece of particle board (must be very uncomfortable for their feet) behind the feeder. WHY!? I have all this nice space for them. Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you.

They look young (and gorgeous!)...all my babies start out sleeping in a ball on the poop-board as far away from the other chooks as possible. As they get older and more independent, they will eventually move up to the 2x4 perches...especially if there are old biddies to show 'em the ropes. If there are no old ones to teach them and you don't feel like waiting for them to figure it out on their own, you can gently move them to the desired perch after dark after they're 2-3 months old. Repeat a few evenings in a row and they'll likely start seeking out that spot on their own come roost-time.

Thank you for the compliment! They are really pretty when they are not stacked up on each other! I have no older birds and I did try putting them up there, but they come right back down. They are really young yet, I was just perplexed as to why they would want to sleep that way. Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

They feel safer in a sheltered place all huddled together.
Just keep putting them on the roost...best to do this well after dark so they can't see to jump back down.

Do they get up on the roosts during the day at all?
If not, put them up there during the day too, just to get them familiar with it.

How long have they been in this coop?
Looks like a huge coop, nice!
Have any wider shots of it inside and out?
Can't quite place where the huddle spot and the feeder is in the roost pic.

[/IMG]

Thank you for the reply. There are a couple of poops up there, but not many. I have never seen them up there. I will keep trying, thank you.

Interesting setup that your feed/water and pop door is at the poop board level...at least I think that is what I am seeing.

I'd just go in there well after dark and start putting them on the roost.
Use both hands holding down wings, place feet firmly onto roost, slowly let go with a little pat on the back, talking softly the whole time.
Might take just a week worth of nights......or longer.

Back
Top Bottom