Why are my chicks eating at 3 am instead of sleeping? X post

ella&clara

Songster
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Hi
I have Jumbo X Cornish Cross chicks that are 5 days old. I moved them to a larger area with two heat lights, (red in color). Because I am an anxious chicken-keeper, I went out to see about them at 3 AM when I awoke. They were all awake and many were eating. Is this normal? Why aren't they sleeping? Should I take the food away at night? I've read to take the food away at night but I didn't think I should do it this young. It seemed that when they were in the smaller area with only one heat lamp, they slept. I hoped that the red light would encourage them to sleep versus having a white one. The interior of the brooder is white so perhaps that reflects light and makes it brighter in there than in the other one which was dark (gray rubbermaid container :) What do you think?

These commercial broiler have bred with genetics that seem to put an appetite within the birds that is endless. I honestly don't think it can be satiated, as this is intentional. They never sense they are full, it seems. It is this feature that best explains their enormous growth in such a short period of time.

Through selection, researchers likely discovered the genetics that produce this and have dispersed that tendency into all the birds.

Watching several videos about chickens, I'll add that the problem with giving them 24 hour access to food is that they do tend to grow too fast (broilers only) and will outgrow their feathers and their skeletons. Their huge body mass is also too much for their hearts to handle so they often die of heart disease and heart attacks.

However, There is a solution!!!! Even though the broilers have an insatiable appetite, that doesn't mean that they have to eat 24/7! You can slow down the growth rate by taking away their food at night. Also, as with any animal (humans included) exercise is key! Giving them access to a run or letting them free range will help build more muscle and less fat which in turn helps them support their frames.

Sorry if this sounds a bit preachy but I just got lost on youtube watching the factory farming frightmare again. It really is sickening that factory farms exist and more sickening that some people post on there that they don't care. "It's just an animal."
barnie.gif

I intend to free-range them as soon as it's safe enough (warm enough and they are large enough) to do so. I wish I had been able to get them when the weather was warmer. I've been giving them greens and worms from the compost pile I'll take away the food this evening.

Took away the food this evening, so I hope they do okay tonight. They seem pretty active and I hope they remain that way. I moved an old cold frame over an area of the garden where they can forage while contained (I'll put a blanket over the top, the glass is broken).

When you get that beed it is JUST FOR EATTING right ? I haven't read anything on that breed -that's why I am asking-- IM A NEWBY- first chickens got in the spring-
How long do you keep them ?

Watching several videos about chickens, I'll add that the problem with giving them 24 hour access to food is that they do tend to grow too fast (broilers only) and will outgrow their feathers and their skeletons. Their huge body mass is also too much for their hearts to handle so they often die of heart disease and heart attacks.

However, There is a solution!!!! Even though the broilers have an insatiable appetite, that doesn't mean that they have to eat 24/7! You can slow down the growth rate by taking away their food at night. Also, as with any animal (humans included) exercise is key! Giving them access to a run or letting them free range will help build more muscle and less fat which in turn helps them support their frames.

Sorry if this sounds a bit preachy but I just got lost on youtube watching the factory farming frightmare again. It really is sickening that factory farms exist and more sickening that some people post on there that they don't care. "It's just an animal."
barnie.gif

You do realize that is a few farms not all farms are like those

barnie.gif

Don't believe video you see on YouTube.
YouTube is bad for having a bunch of poor and false information on it.

Let me say that chicken eat to fill a caloric need so unless you are restricting there feed during the day it does no good cutting there feed out at night because there just going to eat more during the day to make up there caloric need...

Back
Top Bottom