Why are my chicks starting to die one by one?

Tclloyd0812

Crowing
Mar 13, 2021
Ozark Mountain Foothills of Arkansas
Hello, I am needing some help/advice. I have raised chicks for a few years now. I hatch out my own and also buy from hatcheries (Specifically Meyer's and Strombergs were my most recent). I know with a lot of chicks brings coccidiosis sometimes. I have been using the preventative dosage of the liquid corid in their water, changing bedding, cleaning food and water bowls. Some of the chicks have orange poop which I know can be normal sometimes, but I have also found one watery poo with blood in it. The chicks are different ages: the ones from Meyer's are about 6 weeks old and the ones from Strombergs are about 4 weeks old. I have never had this much bad luck on raising chicks... I lost about 20 out of 50 from changing their brooder and some escaped (now they're in a bigger, more secure brooder) and the others have died just from being sick with whatever they had I probably have between 25 to 30 of the original. The ones from strombergs have been the mostly sick ones (The ones I lost from Meyers actually didn't die from sickness, just escaped sadly) and I hardly have any of those left, I did get them the Mareks vaccination but I've done that before with no problems. I feel like I'm doing everything right and getting no where!!!! This has been the worst year for my chicks. Some of the ones from strombergs struggled with past butt at first but haven't had it recently. I am wondering if they are getting too much corid or not enough. Their poop stinks horribly, and I know that is also a sign of coccidiosis. I use the regular recommended dosage of corid for chicks.
Symptoms are the following:
*Orange poop, saw some bloody
*Stinky butt
*Walking around slowly, hunched over
*Just looking sick in general
*Most of them die in the food bowl. BTW: They are fed normal chick starter, non medicated, I believe the brand is nuturena , same thing I always feed.
*Some of the chicks cuddle in a corner at night despite it being 85 degrees and they have all feathers

Last edited:
How big is your brooder? What are you using for heat? How many chicks are in there together? Are they cuddling under the heat source or away from it? Pic of brooder & chicks inside would be helpful.

How big is your brooder? What are you using for heat? How many chicks are in there together? Are they cuddling under the heat source or away from it? Pic of brooder & chicks inside would be helpful.
The brooder is pretty big. They're now in a safer area that has a roof and the cannot fly out. They have a heat plate but barely use it... it has been recently about 90 or 95 degrees during the day and between 75 and 85 at night. They are all able to get under it but like I said they rarely use it. They kind of cuddle in the corner away from the heat plate. I had a heat lamp in there as well but they were getting very over heated. There are about 25 to 30 chicks left I believe... like I said some (from strombergs) died looking sick and the others that didn't die from sickness got out of the last brooder either from flying out or going through a small hole I believe.
I tried to get a picture of one of the chicks in the food bowl that looks sick so you can see what they look like....
I have Salmon Favorelles and D'uccles from Meyers which are the older and more healthy chicks and then I have Turkens, Silver Wyandottes, and Light brahma from Strombergs. Out of all of the breeds I had about 80% of the brahma die from whatever they have and so far 3 out of the 6 turkens have died as well. No silver Wyandottes or any of the ones from Meyers died in the brooder, I have all of my Wyandottes left and most of the ones from meyers, and like I said a few flew out of the last brooder (the ones missing from Meyers).
I hope this helps/makes sense. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 20210726_105820.jpg
    20210726_105820.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210726_105752.jpg
    20210726_105752.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210726_105755.jpg
    20210726_105755.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210726_105807.jpg
    20210726_105807.jpg
    836 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210726_105822.jpg
    20210726_105822.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210726_105818.jpg
    20210726_105818.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 17
The first thing I do when chicks look sick is treat them all with Corid in the water-full treatment. Do they look sick first? Or just die overnight? Are they all eating and drinking? Feel their crops.

Back
Top Bottom