1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why are my cockerels so friendly?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MayberrySaint, Apr 30, 2007.

1. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    After moving my chicks to the main coop last week, they have become much more friendly than when they were in the brooder and nursery coop. My only problem is the 15 cockerels that were included in my order for warmth are the nicest, sweetest chicks of the bunch. I'll go in and sit on a bucket and within 30 secs I'll have four cockerels sitting on my shoulders, head, legs, etc. They take turns perching on my extremities...[​IMG]
    Do you think they know their fate?
    It is breaking my heart to get so attached knowing they are destined for the freezer...yikes!!!!

Andy

2. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Well... cockerels ARE less scaredy than hens, in general.

[​IMG]

You have my sympathy (and so do they!)

3. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    Quote:Awww! Cute little suck ups aren't they.[​IMG] Maybe you can just build a second coop to keep all the extras in.

Mark

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    They probably overheard you saying they were destined for freezer camp........ [​IMG]

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I'm afraid I would follow Mark's idea and build a bachelor's quarters if I get too attached to my young ones. [​IMG]

6. bayourouge

bayourouge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    central Louisiana
    a little off-topic but this thread reminded me of something funny. we mostly have OEG bantams and this year, when everyone started really laying well, my wife's 3 yr old blue hen was not laying AT ALL. i told my wife that i was going to pick up a replacement blue pullet and her's was going to get corn fed for a little while and then into the pot. the next day, when i got home with the new pullet, the old hen had an egg. she has been laying consistently ever since. right now she's setting, lol. i guess the wife had a talk with her.

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    wow, talk about telepathy! [​IMG]

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    They're cute now, but wait till you have a pen full of testosterone laden young stags. Then their unafraid attitude wont be so cute, LOL.

chel

9. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    My boys were also very friendly, and I became attached. Originally my idea was to pull the extras out for the freezer, but I got so attached I couldn't do it. My sollution? I sold them to nre homes and ordered birds for the freezer that I am not handling much at all. They are in a pen all their own, and I basically make sure their needs are met and thats all. I know it sounds mean, but its the way I have to do it. Its the only way I'll be able to do the deed in 5-7 weeks. (They're a week old) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by