1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why are my ducks nipping at each others heads??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kkattt, Jul 30, 2011.

1. kkattt

kkattt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

It seems like it could be a playful thing.... I am not sure!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Doesn't look agressive at all, as long as feathers aren't being pulled probably not a problem.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How old are they? My runners started flirting with each other at about ten weeks of age. The nipping preceded grabbing each other by the back of the neck and playing "hop on top." Normal hormonal activities for maturing ducks.

Are they bobbing their heads?

4. kkattt

kkattt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Hi [​IMG] they are about ten weeks old... And I think they are both boys! Hmmm???

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My ducks don't seem to worry about gender as their breeding hormones get going. They just go with the feeling, so to speak. So it looks to me like your boys are beginning to reach sexual maturity. Aggressiveness is something that some drakes have, some drakes don't, so keep an eye on them. I wouldn't worry unless their play becomes rough. If there are no females around, I doubt they would have any real conflict.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by