Why are my ducks not laying any eggs??

Well in that case it sounds like they are hiding their eggs. My ducks are still laying reliably every morning even with the shorter days but they have laid their eggs in the nest box in their house from day one. So they are pretty easy to find, but even in their nest box they bury the eggs under the shavings and if I didn't know to dig them out, I would think they hadn't laid any. I guess you'll just have to go on a hunt.

Restrict their free range space, even the knee high garden fencing with short metal t-posts to hold it up. Surround their house with it, and then you can let them out for food and water but have a smaller area to search for eggs. Once you figure out what time they are laying you can open the smaller pen and let them run around.

Time to go on a major egg hunt around the property though and see where they were hiding. If no hidden nests i would worry about a predator. Rats, skunks, raccoons, snakes, squirrels, crows, possum to name a few like to eat eggs.

when you look for the eggs make sure you look really good! I once found eggs outside covered over with dirt the only way I found them was because she started laying on them, before that I had no idea she had even started laying eggs.Ducks can be tricky when it comes to hiding those nests.If you don't find them I would check for something stealing the eggs!! because if they all three are of laying age it's hard to believe that at least one of them would have started laying.

Good luck
fl.gif

I don't know if your ducks have started laying yet, but my khakis were hatched in May and didn't start laying until late December. They were nice enough to lay in the middle of their pen at first so they were easy to find. But recently production had dropped off and we found that one of them had found a hiding spot for hers.

My Female Duck is 1 year old and 1.5 months and she laid 139 eggs, and then this february got sick with sour crop i think and had foot swelling problems. she is all fine now for 2 mos. and hasn't laid since..... I feed her layer feed, and i let her roam about every day for 1-2 hours or so. She lives with her mate and best friend Pip, a drake, and he mates with her constantly. He tries to attack me if i get close, and if he can't get me, he will grab her neck and mate. Pip is smaller, he is a rouen but he is much more feisty. Dewey, the female, is nice and white, but can't always shake pip off. he is like ripping at her feathers on her neck. Maybe she has to much stress, but i don't know......

Might want to give Pip a break from Dewey no wonder she isn't laying. If you could make something where they can still see each other but they are separated so Dewey can have some downtime and maybe you'll begin to see eggs. Drakes really need at least 3 or more females so they arent over breeding one specific duck.

okay. pip is the drake:D, but yup thanks for the info. i am trying to get more ducks, but i just can't seem to let my mom let me.....

Back
Top Bottom