Why are my ducks up and about at night?

Ducks can be active or asleep at any time of day or night. They don't sleep through the night like chickens. They will party anytime! So, your ducks are just doing what normal ducks do
smile.png

Probably hunting nocturnal bugs though
smile.png
mine run amok on my porch after the sun goes down chomping delicious moths. Actually if you want to save a bit on your feed bill I recommend getting a very bright solar garden light and setting it up inside their pen for a nightly smorgasbord.

Yeah, they get up at night so I always have food and water out for them.

I think most birds will take naps during the day and then sleep most of the night. In total they tend to get around 12 hours of sleep.

Even if they are asleep at night, they hear every sound and if they hear you, they will start quacking.

If it has been hot there, they are probably napping through the heat of the day and feeding when it cools off.

I love it when I get home late and my chickens have put themselves to bed- and are quite perturbed when I check on them and wake them up- but my ducks come running out of who knows where with loud greeting quacks like they were waiting for me to start the party
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom