**Why are my girls not laying??**

Tripp16

Songster
8 Years
May 26, 2011
North Carolina
Ok so my girls are about 6-7 months old.
hmm.png
My Buff Orp girl is sooo fluffy!
big_smile.png
None of my girls are laying. When should they start laying?? My girls need to start paying their rent...
lau.gif

If you need pictures I can post some.

Any comments/advice is VERY appreciated!
big_smile.png

You'll get lots of stories about laying early, and a bunch more about laying late. I bought 5 hens all hatched January 29th. 4 are laying, one of which just started 2 days ago, and my Brahma still hasn't laid. Unfortunately, they lay when they lay. You can try a few things...like eliminating low protein treats. Do they free range at all? All my girls are laying in the laying boxes...but my latest to start laying, even though she has lots of hens around her to show her where to lay, decided to lay under a tarp in an inner-tube. Had I not just happened across her, who knows how long she would have gone. If your girls are free ranging, make sure they aren't laying outside somewhere.

Also, make sure there are some golfballs in the laying boxes...just to give them a hint where to lay when it does come time. Other than that, try and not think about it too much....

Quote:
Well I sorta forgot about it for a while until I talked to my friend who get 27 eggs a day!! From his 30 hens......

I only have 6 hens and no they dont free range they do go out in a run though. I have one hen that is way older than the other 5 she lays everyday but not sure if they will copy her and lay in the nesting box.

I will do the golf ball thing. Thanks for the advice!
smile.png

The heat can play a roll. I know one of my girls dropped her egg production for almost two weeks before picking back up again. My three lay every day and my other three won't start until at least November. It is frustrating to wait for those darn eggs. They'll surprise you though, don't worry!

Back
Top Bottom