Why are my hens killing their chicks!!!

Have you ever hatched out this late in the year? Wonder if that has anything to do with the hens' actions.

In any case, so sorry this happened! Looks like you're the momma hen now. Good luck!

you'll need the thermometer, or temperature gauge..
chicks should be kept at 95 degrees the first week..then 5 degrees lower each week..
you can lower the heat by moving the light higher.
they should be protected from any drafts or wet.

bedding should be ribbed paper towels or that rubbery non-slip shelf lining..easy to clean..

do you have chick feed and vitamins?
what all are the others being fed?
do they ever run out of feed?
do they have access to fresh water?

Quote:
Are all three hens together?? If so the other hens may be to blame, I have had two hatch at the same time, and they have attacked the other hens babies for trying to get under them.

Some hens just aren't good mother hens. I had one do the same thing- when the first baby chick arrived I thought everything was fine, only to find the babychick almost pecked to death on my next vist. Some hens are great and laying on those eggs, but when the fuzzy little ball moves about, the hen doesn't even recognize it as its own, but as an intruder near her precious eggs! I was fortunate in that I had another broody hen and moved all the eggs under that one. This mommy did an excellent job taking care of her young. Some breeds are just not good at being moms.

Keep a close Eye on the others and get those babies out of there ASAP. Heatlamp ready!

Forgot to mention. I also isolate the mother hen in a separate area with her eggs/chicks. Too many broodies can be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom