Why are my hens laying on the floor?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by branston, Aug 21, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I have two hens laying and both lay in the same place, on the floor, in a corner of the coop? I have 6 nest boxes and see that they have been in each but still lay on the floor? I have about 6-8 inches of pine shaving on the floor of the coop and they make a little nest in that. It doesn't bother me as the eggs are perfect and clean but just wondered if this was normal?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Mine will lay on the floor in the chicken house as well. I just assumed it's a more comfortable place for them to lay.

3. ima57boomer

ima57boomer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    I have three nest boxes for ten young chickens. When they first started laying, I would find some eggs in the nest boxes, but I've found eggs on the floor, on an old board in the coop, INSIDE their feed bag, inside the pine shavings bag and a few other assorted places, all inside the coop. I think they finally got the memo that they are to lay inside the nest boxes, since it's been a week or so since I've found them in unusual places. Bless their little hearts.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine go back and forth...depending on who's in their FAVORITE nest box at the time LOL It's pretty normal for them to do that.

5. Chrisann

Chrisann New Egg

Oct 14, 2012
    I have 5 hens, we have 2 nesting boxes, one is usually only used. Sometimes I will find 5 eggs in one, or other times, I will find 2 in the box, and 3 on the floor...why is that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by