Why are my hens not laying?!?!

My hens usually dig a small crater like hole in the past they make a nest at the base of perennials, in tall grass, one even had leaves nearby and pushed some leaves to cover the eggs.

There are feeds that help with molting called "Feather Fixer" but this isn't organic. I haven't looking into organic feed before.

When would you say like early to mid fall?

What breed do you have? Generally all will enter into a second cycle of laying after completing their molt. Low production birds may wait until spring when the day light period increases.

My hens usually dig a small crater like hole in the past they make a nest at the base of perennials, in tall grass, one even had leaves nearby and pushed some leaves to cover the eggs.

There are feeds that help with molting called "Feather Fixer" but this isn't organic. I haven't looking into organic feed before.
Okay I’ll consider it. I have found them lay under the porch before about a month ago.

I've used "feather fixer" before as a substitute for "all flock" when I couldn't get my preferred feed due to COVID-related shortages. Its just a high protein feed /edit WITH /edit the extra calcium supplement in a layer feed. (3.5%+/-)

If you use All Flock/Flock Raiser and free choice oyster shell for additional calcium availability, the birds will have everything they need. Or, you can stick to Layer feed, still free choice Oyster (as insurance), and find a different way to supplement protein to get from what is likely 16% to something closer to 18 or 20% - but as he said his birds free range, I suspect their bug intake has already addressed that issue.

/edit assuming they don't exclusively free range for their dietary needs

Last edited:
Okay I’ll consider it. I have found them lay under the porch before about a month ago.
They will also change the spots they are laying when you find a nest and remove the eggs (depending on the hen). I have a stubborn hen that will make a nest, I'll find it, and she will made a nest some place else. Everyday I get to go on an Easter Egg Hunt!

You probably already know this but I wanted to mention since the "Feather Fixer" isn't organic. If you start with organic feed when they are chicks you need to stick with organic feed for the flock to be considered organic. You can't switch and come back to organic.

I've used "feather fixer" before as a substitute for "all flock" when I couldn't get my preferred feed due to COVID-related shortages. Its just a high protein feed w/o the extra calcium supplement in a layer feed.
IIRC feather fixer has 3-4% calcium.
The 'feather fixer' term is a marketing ploy, long story.

They will also change the spots they are laying when you find a nest and remove the eggs (depending on the hen). I have a stubborn hen that will make a nest, I'll find it, and she will made a nest some place else. Everyday I get to go on an Easter Egg Hunt!

You probably already know this but I wanted to mention since the "Feather Fixer" isn't organic. If you start with organic feed when they are chicks you need to stick with organic feed for the flock to be considered organic. You can't switch and come back to organic.
Okay thank you!

I've used "feather fixer" before as a substitute for "all flock" when I couldn't get my preferred feed due to COVID-related shortages. Its just a high protein feed /edit WITH /edit the extra calcium supplement in a layer feed. (3.5%+/-)
Okay thank you!
If you use All Flock/Flock Raiser and free choice oyster shell for additional calcium availability, the birds will have everything they need. Or, you can stick to Layer feed, still free choice Oyster (as insurance), and find a different way to supplement protein to get from what is likely 16% to something closer to 18 or 20% - but as he said his birds free range, I suspect their bug intake has already addressed that issue.

/edit assuming they don't exclusively free range for their dietary needs

Back
Top Bottom