Why are my hens not laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miss_thenorth, Mar 22, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Hi all, this past week, I have received maybe 5 eggs. I have 6 laying hens.
    the last two days I have not received ANY eggs. No isgns of moulting, no signs of rats, etc that coul possibly be taking the eggs.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  2. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Anyone?

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Do they usually lay everyday? Sometimes my hens skip days, especially this time of year. how old are they?

4. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    They have been laying since september. they laid fairly consisitently thoroughout the winter, but in the last week--5 eggs from 6 hens, with the last two days nothing! they have all their feathers, are seem healthy and happy. I'm so confused.......

5. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    do they free range?mine are starting to hide theirs

6. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    They have been in the barn all winter, and I have looked in anything that could be considered a hiding spot with no luck.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I've noticed that our girls take a break from laying whenever we get serious cold snaps that last a few days. Once it warms up again, they get back on track again. They've been laying since mid-October.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

8. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    The outside temps have been consistently -5 C to+3 C. It was much colder last month and they were laying fine. ???

9. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    WOW! You did really well to get 5 eggs from 6 pullets throughout the winter. What kind of breeds do you have? Are they getting the required amount of light for laying? What are you feeding them? Have they had enough fresh water? It could be a number of things to trigger them to stop. Sometimes they just need to take a little break. Check really well for parasites just to make sure under their wings, around their head, vent, and tail. Sometimes that can be a silent cause. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by