why are my hens not laying

bratgirlof4

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Olivehurst CA
this is our first time raising chickens for the eggs, we have 16 chickens. we have got 3 eggs last week and now we are getting nothing? i have them on a layer pellets.not sure y they are not laying. we got then in late apirl, they were all only days old? they have boxes to lay but they are not doing it?
idunno.gif

this is our first time raising chickens for the eggs, we have 16 chickens. we have got 3 eggs last week and now we are getting nothing? i have them on a layer pellets.not sure y they are not laying. we got then in late apirl, they were all only days old? they have boxes to lay but they are not doing it?
idunno.gif

Are they free range or are they kept in a coop all the time? If they free range they more than likely have nests around your property that you haven't found yet. You may want to try putting a few golf balls or plastic Easter eggs in the nesting boxes to give them an idea where they should be laying.
Years ago I had a few free range chickens and never even thought about them laying eggs. Just kept them for bug control and eye candy. One day while I was cleaning the garage I went to move a cat carrier that was buried under a bunch of stuff and inside were 72 eggs!!! From that point on I always checked the carrier and the girls would always leave me presents.

idunno.gif

Also, depending where you are and what breed they are, it might be a seasonal thing. My Cream Legbars are in moult and with the days getting shorter and the weather getting worse, I probably won't see too many eggs from them until Spring now.

:frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

Here's another thread where I wrote a bunch on why they may have "stopped" laying. Maybe something there will apply to your situation.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/716171/disappearing-eggs

Usually my pullets from hatchery stock ancestry start laying around 18 to 20 weeks old, with all of them usually laying by 23 to 24 weeks old. I have six pullets right now from a breeder that I hatched April 2 that have not started laying yet though they are a breed that should be good layers. The point is that different chickens start laying at different ages.

It may be that most of yours are laying and hiding eggs or possibly most just have not started yet. Or something is getting the eggs. Check my post in that other thread. You might find something that wil help explain it.

Good luck and again, :frow

they are in a coop all the time,nothing can get to them. we have blacked sexed,rhode island reds, and the ones that lay the easter egg kind.they gave us 3 about 2 wk, ago but nothing.im going to try the ball thing,thanks for the feed back.

Back
Top Bottom