Why are my hens panting?

mandolinmama

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Urbana Missouri
I've got two hens panting today. I know they pant when they're hot, but it's only 75% out today and we've got a decent breeze. My little bantam is really panting and has been at it for over an hour now. Both have been drinking plenty of water.
They just walk around with their beaks open breathing harder than usual.
Is this normal or something I should be worried about?
hmm.png

Thanks!

Mine were panting on sunday. It was about 77 degrees here. My guess is they are hot. The only shade mine have right now is under the chicken house. Since there are no leaves on the trees yet they don't have much options for shade. It is too hot for April anyway. It has really cooled off here today. The chickens are much happier. Are they still panting if it is cooler for you today?

I haven't moved them or changed their feed. They're still panting out there. It's gone up to 78 degrees. It's really not much warmer than it usually is around here as of late. They don't have a whole lot of shade from our trees either. The do go under the hen house for shade though.
They must be hot. They've really gone through the water today. I'll have to fill their gallon water feeder before the day is out again.
They just look so freaked out! Maybe it's just me freaking out though.

They would probably enjoy it if you watered down a section of their run so they can lay in the cool dirt. I've heard that they like to be sprinkled with water, but mine sure don't!!

Sounds to me like they are hot. I have a little kiddie pool in the yard with my chickens...I only keep about 3 inches of water in there, and my hens get in the water and walk around in it. Some say chickens dont like water.....but mine do!

My girls LOVE water. Because its so hot here I came up with this method for cooling off they feet. They were always standing in their water bowls. This is an old Commerical AC drip pan. Its perfect because its only 2 inches deep and its big enough for several hens to get in at the same time.

Unfortunately I have to clean it out every day in the summer because they get it so dirty. You can see the drain pipe that has been capped off on the right.

Back
Top Bottom