Why are my hens pooping in their nests??

Could there be a cross draft or something disturbing them up on the roosts?
No the coop faces East/West and the North has no area that could draft and the south has one small window I keep partially closed but the wind can't blow through. I have wrapped plastic around the coop to prevent cold drafts on them but they still have fresh air too. My problem I think could also be related to the fact that the roost bars are on the same level as the nests...its a small area but while they used to roost on the bars they have moved to the nests??

Honestly, my birds prefer the 2x4 as I have both the round and 2x4 perches in the coop and they all hop on the 2x4 in the winters... in the summer they seem to prefer the round perch. So, Ill just leave it at that so they are happy either way.
My hope is to build a better coop this spring. I have a dear friend that may be getting rid of her girls and their coop and if she does, I'm all over them. They look like they came just from BHG or Southern Living. LOL

No the coop faces East/West and the North has no area that could draft and the south has one small window I keep partially closed but the wind can't blow through. I have wrapped plastic around the coop to prevent cold drafts on them but they still have fresh air too. My problem I think could also be related to the fact that the roost bars are on the same level as the nests...its a small area but while they used to roost on the bars they have moved to the nests??
If the roosts are low, that's the problem, try raising the roost bars as high as you're able.

If the roosts are low, that's the problem, try raising the roost bars as high as you're able.
I would say you are right but due to the design there is no way for me to raise the roosts. That said they only started this since I changed the bedding material??

Yes.
And covering the nests until they learn to roost.

With a prefab your roosts are probably the same level as nests, and probably too small for comfort.
Post some pics of your coop.

This might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-in-nest-boxes.1134399/page-2#post-17749535
1643231338542.png

1643231391985.png

This is the identical coop except it is slightly bigger than mine. The roost bars go directly across the poop tray so there is no way other place to secure a bar? :rolleyes:

But yes they are all sleeping now in the nest boxes instead of on the roost bar??
I'd try to close up the nesting box before they roost and open it again in the morning. (following @aart 's preaching!!!) Requires work!

I have to chase mine off the nesting box almost every night this winter since someone is always going through molting, and I've learned from @3KillerBs that chickens in molting like to sleep in the nesting boxes! My hens have been taking turns to try to sleep in the nesting boxes since Dec. When I remember, I blocked the nesting box before they roost. Or if I am too late, I check and chase them off when I close the coop every night. It requires work but at least I can keep the nesting boxes clean, and I hope this will end soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom