1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHY are my male ducks fighting and attacking me?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by myducksaremad, Oct 2, 2016.

1. myducksaremad

myducksaremad New Egg

Oct 2, 2016
    Hi all ,I have two male ducks and they fight quite a bit nothing to nasty it only happens when they are on the pond but can rarely happen on the ground, they tend to head bob at each another then go in to fight. They show a lot of behaviour that would come across as showing of to females however we don't own any? But the main problem is the main duck who appears to me to be the dominant one has started to attack me by chasing me away and he bites me but the other one has started to join in.But they only bite me and run after me never anyone else, not any of our visitors or any of the other people in my household who look after them. I was wondering why do they just attack me and if I bought two females would this improve the whole situation? Would they stop attacking me?

Thanks in advance

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Head bobbing is what they do to show their ready to mate.Sounds like their trying to mate you. Adding 2 would casue stress on the females,and literal bad fighting.they need about 8 females to sstay satisfied.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

First off,that so called fighting in the pool is excitement and sexual tension....
    The attacking you is both Drakes think of you as their mate and bite and chase you to keep you for themselves....Buy three hens and get rid of one Drake....Best advise...

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by