Why are my other hens pecking my chicks

Fee1inclucky

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2022
I’ve had three chicks hatch under a broody mama. They have been shut in the coop away from the other two chickens since the chicks hatched (although I’ve been letting the other chickens sleep in there over night when it’s dark) and they’re dopey. Today the chicks are a couple of days old so I’ve opened the coop up so mama can show them where the food etc is. Straight away the other two adult chickens came into the coop and seemed obsessed by the chicks. One of the chickens even started pecking at the chicks. I shooed them out and shut the coop again. Now I’m scared to let the other chickens near the chicks incase they hurt them.

Broody mum does peck at the intruders a little bit to fend them off but she’s never been a particularly aggressive broody.

Any tips of what to do to stop the big chickens pecking the babies or shall I just let them all integrate and trust mother hen to protect them?

I know I’ve probably done this all wrong -it’s my first time using a broody, but we are where we are now.

TIA
8A4C96AF-1EF0-4C43-9CFF-0990F5C55C30.jpeg

You're fortunate to be dealing with only a couple of adult chickens with a set of new chicks in the picture. Usually, broody hormones create a fierce creature that strikes terror in the hearts of the rest of a flock. However, when the hen is so mild tempered to begin with, sometimes hormones can't quite manage to turn out a fierce protector, and you need to create a safe environment so chicks won't get hurt.

Many of us have a section in our runs partitioned off so we can segregate any chickens we need to protect, but at the same time, keep the flock together so the social order remains intact.

My safe section also has small chick size openings that I can open when the chicks are old enough to be able to identify danger from any adult chickens and to retreat to in order to eat and drink safely. Usually, by the time chicks are ten weeks old, it's safe to let them fend for themselves to compete for food and water.

Back
Top Bottom