Why are my peeps hurting my baby roo?

vicegrip

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Mena AR
To day I saw one of my chicks pecking the roo a lot and some of the other ones a little And then I saw a couple of others pecking him a lot and a couple of the other ones a little to. I thought it might be the starting of the pecking order so I let it go for a half hour or so now my baby roo has a bloody spot so I quarantined him. Now there not pecking each any moor than normal. There is 16 2-3 week old chick in 8sf. I think that’s plenty of room for now maybe not.

Can you help to tell me whats going on?
he.gif
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Maybe they are lacking something. I would throw a couple of hard boiled eggs in there. I wouldn't think chicks that young should do that. Sounds like enough space. I'm new to this..

I learned a couple things here at BYC:
#1-- hens will gang up on Roo's when young
#2-- they'll do that if stressed (too cold/hot, not enough protein, need sunlight etc..)
#3-- A red Heat-lamp keeps them from pecking each other. For some reason the red lamp effects them and keeps them from pecking.

Try adding boiled eggs, yogurt , sunflower hearts to their food... add a red light, and make sure there are no other "stressors"
and treat the bloody spot with Neosporin..as long as he's separated, Blu-Kote isn't necessary... but If you put him back, get some, and spray it on a piece of foil or waxed paper then use a Cotton swab to apply it to the wound.

Good Luck!!

I had the same thing happen with my roos. I ended up having to separate them.

At 1 week old they pecked one so bad he ended up dying. Then a week later they pulled all the tail feathers out of 2 more.

They have never pecked each other so I don't know what was up with them not liking the roos.

I have a red light and plenty of space.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom