Why are my peeps hurting my baby roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vicegrip, Feb 28, 2009.

1. vicegrip

vicegrip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    To day I saw one of my chicks pecking at the roo a lot and some of the other ones a little And then I saw a couple of others pecking him a lot and a couple of the other ones a little to. I thought it might be the starting of the pecking order so I let it go for a half hour or so now my baby roo has a bloody spot so I quarantined him. Now there not pecking each other any moor than normal. He pecks at the blood spot. There is 16 2-3 week old chick in 8sf. I think thatÂ’s plenty of room for now maybe not.

Can you help to tell me whets going on?

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Chicks are no different than adult birds. They notice anything that is out of the ordinary and their curiousity is non stop. Are you using a light on them? If it is a white light, changing to a red light will help with the pecking. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  3. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Im new to this but I think you need a bigger brooder. I had 12 in a 8sf box at 3 weeks old and thought they looked cramped can't imagine 16. I have moved them to a 25sf cardboard box and I think that will hold them over until the coop is done. Try a bigger box even if you have to tape a couple together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by