Why are My RIR hens so bloody noisy?

in october i gonna buy me 60 rir hen s do yoy think it is gonna be noisy
D.gif

in october i gonna buy me 60 rir hen s do yoy think it is gonna be noisy
D.gif

Yes. Sorry, but with 60 chickens in any type, they can raise quite a fuss. If you live in the country with alot of land though, it shouldn't be a problem :)

I had a RIR once, and she was pretty quiet, although she could sing a pretty loud egg song. (RIP Redtail). She was a sweet chicken though. For me, it was my Black Sex Links who were incredibally loud
hu.gif
And of course BSL are usually RIRxBarred Rocks. Then one day one of my two BSL started crowing. I'm 100% positive it was a hen, as roosters are different colors. It was just this AWFUL, bloodcurtling shriek! We sent her 'to the farm' so hopefully she can crow her heart out in the country. We still have the other one and since her sister left, she has been very quiet, along with my leghorn, ee, rsl, and wyandotte.

Yes. Sorry, but with 60 chickens in any type, they can raise quite a fuss. If you live in the country with alot of land though, it shouldn't be a problem :)

I had a RIR once, and she was pretty quiet, although she could sing a pretty loud egg song. (RIP Redtail). She was a sweet chicken though. For me, it was my Black Sex Links who were incredibally loud
hu.gif
And of course BSL are usually RIRxBarred Rocks. Then one day one of my two BSL started crowing. I'm 100% positive it was a hen, as roosters are different colors. It was just this AWFUL, bloodcurtling shriek! We sent her 'to the farm' so hopefully she can crow her heart out in the country. We still have the other one and since her sister left, she has been very quiet, along with my leghorn, ee, rsl, and wyandotte.
luckly our town is one of that small towns where people keeping cows, goats and sheep in there backyard so i don t think there is gonna be a fuss... i hope so i can t resist rir
jumpy.gif

When they are being noisy walk the edge of your place note how much you can hear. Then if you can walk a little further out till you can't hear them. That should give you some real idea of how far away they can be heard.

This could be coincidence, but my chickens mostly make sweet, quiet clucking and almost purring noises when they are happy (rolling in mud/dirt, or rearranging their nesting box). All but one. My RIR, Penny. She sounds like a pterodactyl... or what I would guess one would sound like. :) It is just the loudest, most god-awful, squawking-screeching noise you can imagine. She does it when she is free ranging, she does it when she sees someone else in the nesting box...She does it when I visit them in the coop. She even does at sunrise like a rooster! I think she must like the sound of her own voice! Luckily, I am in the country and don't have to worry about the noise, but I thought I'd share since my pterodactyl, RIR is noisy as well!
smile.png

Thank you all, I will try some of your suggestions. Lettuce ball, soda bottle with holes drilled, and letting them out to free range in the evenings will be my first 3 experiments. Although they like to sit at the screen door and look in at us when they are out. It freaks me out a little, makes me feel like i'm in a people aquarium. Plus they poop on our slippers.

Thanks again all!

Thank you all, I will try some of your suggestions. Lettuce ball, soda bottle with holes drilled, and letting them out to free range in the evenings will be my first 3 experiments. Although they like to sit at the screen door and look in at us when they are out. It freaks me out a little, makes me feel like i'm in a people aquarium. Plus they poop on our slippers.

Thanks again all!
gig.gif
funny. Oh, and your welcome.:D

I have 27 chickens and 2 of them are RIR pullets. They aren't laying eggs yet so they don't really squawk a lot, but they make more noise than my others, simply by nonstop clucking and cooing. Maybe RIRs are a little noisier than other breeds. The quietest breed I have raised is the Brahma. My rooster has never once crowed and the hens only rarely clucked and never squawked.

Back
Top Bottom