Why are my silkies spending so much time inside the coop? (not broody)

Beka123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 31, 2012
My silkies are still pullets so I know they're not broody, plus when I look in on them they're always on the ground or in the corner just standing there, no one's in a nest box. They used to all spend most of the day in there, but now the rooster and 2 girls (that I believe are higher up in the pecking order) will go out a lot more, but they always follow my 3 barred rocks out, they never go out on their own w/o the BRs. So most of the day, at least 70% of the day I am sure, my other 2 silkies and 1 Cochin just spend the day inside their coop. At first I thought maybe they were shy but I've had them just over a month now. What's going on?

(Oh, I should add that they are in a 16x16' caged area, but when I say "go out" I open up the gate and let them free range for an hour or a few every couple of days. The 3 girls that stay in the coop all the time never leave the fenced area.)

They are considered pullets until they are a year old - well after they have started laying - and many hens go broody while they are still pullets, however I suspect you mean that they can't be broody because they are not old enough to lay yet? I have no experience with Silkies (yet) but my bantam Sultan spends a lot of time in the coop too, and I've heard others say that their Silkies are less interested in free-ranging than some other breeds. It may just be that your Silkies are "home bodies" and don't feel the need to be out scratching around as much as the others.

Yes they are "not laying yet" so I know they are not broody. Plus they are not spending time in the nest boxes, they are always standing up back in the corner or hanging out under the ramp in there. Not "nesting." maybe they are just home bodies, they don't act/look sick, no sneezing, all eyes clear, no panting... Bright and alert, just inside...

How well can they see? Standing under the ramp, in the back in some protected spot, I think I have read on here some silkies feathers interfere with their vision.

No they do not have big head feathers, their eyes are completely free of feathers. they're not "great quality" silkies lol...

Chickens adapt to new conditions at varying rates of speed. It's only been a month apparently - they will eventually start to feel 'at home' and then they will venture out with the others. Chickens hate change.

Back
Top Bottom