Why are my stupid chicks dying?

snewman

Songster
12 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Belleville, WI
I'm really fed up and frustrated this year. My cornish x chicks from Welp keep dying suddenly. They're two weeks old, don't look ill, no pasty butt, lethargy, etc, but almost every day I find at least one dead. This morning I found three. They don't seem to be growing particularly fast either. At this rate there won't be any to process. I've never had trouble with chicks dying at in increased rate. Five of my ten turkey poults died too, around 2-3 weeks old (these were not from Welp). I'm down to five of those, and they seem to be holding steady. Again, with those, there were no signs of illness beforehand. Any ideas? Anything I can do to basically strengthen them? I have not been feeding medicated feed, but never have in the past and had no problems.

Because they are stupid??
roll.png

Seriously, I feel your frustration, but I don't know why your chicks are dying...

I'm sorry for your loss...
hugs.gif

The most common cause of death for chicks is coccidiosis. You may not see any symptoms because sometimes it has to get bad before they show up, but I would try the medicated feed as a precaution. Other than that, cornish x chicks can die of lots of health issues associatiated with their breed, but if your losing a high percentage of them it sounds like something more. I just think the medicated feed avoids unnecessary risk and you only feed it for a few weeks in the beginning to get them started. After that, they're on grower feed and it's out of their systems.

Lisa

ugh, that stinks. Sorry to hear that! We lost a few at that age too, to coccidosis and I was thinking the same thing about not having any left to butcher but it stopped after a few days. That's really too bad they aren't growing fast on top of it though. I don't have any ideas on that other than to call the hatchery and see if there was a problem or something.

Vitamin deficiency.
They are really to young yet for cocci unless your conditions are unusual.
Go get a bottle of PoliVySol (human infant vitamins) from walmart or rite aid. It comes with a dropper. Put a few drops in the beak of each chick and then put a full dropperful into a quart waterer for the next two or three times you need to fill it. And make sure their brooder is not to hot.

This year I am using Broiler Max vitamins and electrolytes at 1/2 tsp. per gallon as recommended by McMurray. It runs about $5.00 and goes a long way. These seem to be the healthiest chicks we have had so far. Not sure if it helps them, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. I am also using feed medicated with 0.0125% Amprolium. Good luck with them.

Are they too warm? Meaties don't tolerate the heat as well as layers, and that seems to go for the bebes as well. Do they have space to get out from under the heat lamp to a room temp-like area? How warm/enclosed is your brooder? They need air circulation, not drafty but to keep it from getting too stuffy. I know this is pretty basic stuff and you may know it already
smile.png

Quote:
Broiler Max works really well. I use it until they are six weeks or when it is VERY hot out.

My suggestion is that you used Medicated Feed. Do not let the word Medicated stop you. There is only one thing in it for medication and that is Amprolium for Coccidiosis.

Coccidiosis is a common parasitic disease of poultry which affects the digestive tract.

Coccidiosis is caused by a protozoan parasite (coccidia). Poultry are exposed to the protozoan parasite via their droppings, dirty drinkers and damp litter in their huts. Coccidia thrives in damp conditions such as damp chicken litter and is found in chicken manure. Coccidia can also be found in water that is not kept clean and free of chicken droppings.

Now that I have said that...I am not saving that is what you have, or you have any of the conditions that cause Cocci but medicated chicken starter (or Turkey Starter which is 24% protein) will at least prevent that which kills a LOT of new young birds.

Good Luck with your birds.

Thank you everyone, for your replies. I will get some medicated feed asap. The brooder is pretty big at this point, with a heat lamp at only one end, and on these really hot days I've been turning it off completely during the day. It's possible that it's still been too much for the meaties. I'm glad, at least, that my layers-to-be have all survived (knock on wood).

My feed that is medicated with Amprolium states that there is no withdrawal time necessary also. Alot of times, if you go to the manufacturers website there is way more information there than on the bag. I hope it works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom