why are my white leghorns slowing production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by laclarke4, Aug 2, 2008.

1. laclarke4

laclarke4 New Egg

Aug 2, 2008
    My white leghorns just started laying 1 month ago. I've been blessed to recieve around 2 dozen so far. The past 3 or 4 days however I've had nothing to show for. Is all my work coming to an abrupt end or is there something I need to do to increase this once more?
    Help!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't know where you're located, but the 100+ temps here are making my girls slow down.

Could they be hiding or eating their eggs?

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Could be the heat - we were up to 106 today, the coop registered 110 and I got only two eggs from my total of 15 laying hens.

4. laclarke4

laclarke4 New Egg

Aug 2, 2008
    I'm in NC. there has been up to 93/96 degrees. Should I install a bigger fan in my coop?

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I read a thread on here a while ago...someone said their hens slowed production, so they put a fan in their coop and a few ice cubes in their waterer, and that seemed to help.

6. laclarke4

laclarke4 New Egg

Aug 2, 2008
    thanks for the help. I'll go out there right now & put the fan in.[​IMG]

7. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    I have two fans blowing in my coop and the hens still pant sitting on the nest but, i'm sure they help. This heat slows production.

8. Stella1964

Stella1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    During higher temps with slower egg production, feed your hens higher protein foods. They eat less in high temps, therefore take in less protein, so if you change their food to include a lot more protein, they'll still eat less but at least it's what they need to produce eggs. Also, keep their water cool and fresh, if you can. We put frozen water bottles in our hens' water fount. Also, throw a couple frozen water bottles in the coop for them to sit on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by