Why are our chicks so affraid of us??

Quote:
And that is an outstanding idea! That is why I simply hang my hand in there and let them check it out before I go for the food dish or waterer....amazing to watch them. Some are scared, some are curious and some are brave. You can kinda see the roosters that way too.

I only have a few chicks who don't run in terror. 3 are meat chickens, and I'm starting to feel bad. They are so fat, but they love and trust us so much! The only chick we have that seems to enjoy being held is a bantam salmon faverolle. She is SO sweet! There are a few others that tolerate it, like the silkies and cochins.

Give them time - mine "freak out" at least once a day. Last week I couldn't stick my hand in the brooder without them all running and piling up on each other in the corner. This week they have learned I am the hand that brings the treats - now they run up to the side of the brooder box everytime I come in to check on them looking to see if I have any scrumptious morsels for them
smile.png

Quote:
I don't know what breeds they are, just a barnyard mix. Some came from blue/green eggs, some from light brown, some dark brown eggs and some from white eggs, so who knows.
lau.gif

I will have to start giving them treats, we tried some yogurt, but since all I could buy is vanilla, they didn't like it. Will try to get some plain this week. I am also going to get some crickets for them and meal worms, but not sure to get the live worms or the freeze dried??? If I get the live ones my son may NOT let the chicks have them.
th.gif

It helps to sprinkle chick crumbles on top of the plain yogurt. Mine go crazy over it! It is like a shark feeding frenzy in the brooder. I've been using a 9 in. cake pan to give them their treats. All 9 of them try to get in it at the same time! It is fun to watch!
smile.png

Good morning all! I'm new here and wondering what might be used as treats for the chicks?

Mine go bonkers for raisins and bananas. I throw in a few raisins and the game of chicken football begins, it's so fun to watch.

mine love teeny bits of ham, boiled eggs and oatmeal. The flip out when they see me coming with the paper plate. They know something good is on its way!

my young ones freak out all the time especially when i first come in but after a few minutes they chill out my older ones still freak out and i've handled them since they were 3 days old i think some are just more people friendly than others but they will all eat out of my hand

Back
Top Bottom