Why are people feeding birds yogurt?

I feed mine plani yogurt as a treat, maybe once a month, mixed with their feed, I have not seen any symptoms appear from doing so. I have a handful of hens that are 6-8 years old and still laying eggs pretty consistent and are just as healthy as the pullets. Personally, I think over abundance of any one thing is not healthy, whether it be for humans, animals or nature, so I prefer mixing things up, espeically with their feed and treats, and they surely let me know what they want, what they like and what their system needs. (like dogs and the tall grass blades, cant force them to eat them when everything is in check, and you cannot get them to stop when their tummies are upset) If something is working, why try to fix it? I often wonder if the media tries to persway us in many of the choices we make in our lifestyle and uprearing. So many things that we have been told in the past that were tabu are now "recommended". I say, stick to your instincts, if you see positive results from feeding them yogurt, then go for it. If you have doubts and see that they are not getting the results desireded, stop.

I always thought milk based products interferred with antibiotics, that you shouldn't have any while on antibiotics.

I was always told not to use milk products when treating with tetracycline but that it was alright to feed afterwards to replace good intestinal flora. I would use it in moderation as a very special treat just once inawhile.

My hen was attacked 1 1/2 weeks ago at night (by what I don't know). Anyway her beak seems to be permanently open and I am having to feed her turkey crumbles/water and also Duramycin-10 in water with an eyedropper (and probably will the rest of her life). She had a VERY BAD wheezing but the Duramycin cleared that up eventually. Now she is so listless and appears to sleep a LOT. She will walk around some but then stands and sleeps or lays down and sleeps. Can I boil corn grains (chicken scratch) into a mush, add some yogurt, barley and turkey crumbles and make a mush to feed her. Or what will give her energy and pizzazz again? There are no vets in my little town to help. I am desparate. thank you.

Last edited:
After I wormed my chickens I gave them a mixture of dry cat food and yogurt. they ate all of it in no time. I also mix yogurt with some feed and egg shells or scrambled eggs once in a while for them. I have not seen any problems with doing this.

Thank you Schellie. Since my hen cannot eat on her own is there a mush concoction I could make that would give her her vitamins and make her where she is not listless? Actually she is not even my hen but I love her and have been taking care of her. I have no money to have her wormed or anything. Just trying to get her well. I know nothing about chickens. I appreciate your input.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, baby chicks will take a while but once they get a taste boy they go to town and get very very messy. Because of course after stepping in it they have to step in there regular food if available..

Quote:
Try the yogurt and scrambled eggs with some layer feed mashed in. This is soft and seems to be one of my girls favorite treats. For a protein boost try some cat food wet mixed with yogurt that should help some it soft and full of protein. Feel free to PM me if you need help.

Before reading your reply I boiled some barley, turkey crumbles, corn meal and let it cool. Later I gave her a tiny bit of plain yogurt mixed in her water. However when she pooped it looked more watery and white than usual. I have stopped giving her antibiotics except once a day. She is looking weaker and weaker and I think I'm losing her no matter what I try. I do thank you for helping me though.

Hello,
My girl heather took a 2 week break from laying she has now started laying again 4 days in a row i have been giving her yogurt almost everyday b4 i started giving her yogurt she has been laying beautiful shape eggs no soft shelled no deformed eggs just perfectly shaped eggs but i want to make sure she's getting enough calcium so thats y i'm giving her yogurt... Am i doing the right thing??? When i give my girl yogurt my rooster also eats it is it ok for roosters to eat yogurt also?? I read that roosters can get kidney problem if eating too much calcium.. If so i need to STOP giving him yogurt... Thanks everyone!!!

Back
Top Bottom