Why are people feeding birds yogurt?

Save meat drippings and flavor the warm oatmeal and stand back for the chicken fistfight as it is highly desired. I ended up simply preparing a larger amount so they could relax and eat up. And they do noticeably "share" better when there is more oatmeal for all of them. This is a huge favorite. And I flavor with yogurt and bananas other times which is also loved.

Mine also look like a flock of piranhas instead of chickens when the yogurt comes out!!! My only problem is my Buff Orp roo - he gets so much on his wattles, we had to grab him and rinse him off!
lau.gif
Poor guy, I'm sure he was embarrassed by that. Maybe that's why my Speckled Sussex hen is now in charge of the roost...???
hu.gif

Well, I see folks still swear by the yogurt and this Dr. McCrea as far as I can remember is the only person I've ever seen or heard of that says yogurt is not good for chickens. That's why I've asked Peter Brown to weigh in on this. He's a PhD too and maybe this is a case of one PhD who has a strong opinion about something that others disagree with.

Having said that, if in fact there is scientific evidence that yogurt is bad, the fact that the chickens seem to love it, may not mean anything. For example, I know folks who love certain foods but if they were to eat it they'd be sorry.

God Bless,

i've been giving mine pomegranate flavored yogurt lately and they LOVE it! i don't see much of a problem with giving it to them as a treat to keep their bodies in check or for the egg shells. as long as it is not something that has sugar substitutes in it.

though i will not give them that DanActive crud. it isn't any better than regular yogurt for your body.

I believe that cows milk is for cows, goat milk for goats, and people milk for people, and so forth. I think I would have issues with a "doctor" who states that yogurt was designed for people. Don't get me wrong, I am the world's biggest milk-a-holic; just the same it is dairy from which we as people have made a variety of different delicious things. My hens have been getting yogurt since they were chicks and they are the healthiest things you've ever seen. If the good doctor is against yogurt but pro the bacteria found therein, where might she suggest getting some of that bacteria to give to our animals??

Processed and flavored yogurt contains sugar and other additives which are not good for chickens; that is why "plain" is recommended.

hmm.png
for what it's worth, my husband's cousin majored in developing feeds/nutrition while at Iowa State University and works now doing just that. She told me that ANY dairy would not be good for my chickens, including yogurt (even tho they do love it and cottage cheese). And I did notice that they had more diarhhea when I gave them either of those treats. I no longer give them dairy of any kind.

I give it to mine and I have never seen any ill effects from it at all. I am sure for those of us who free range our chickens we have seen them eat alot of things that may not be "doctor recommended" or advised against.
I make a point of giving yogurt when the rain has been bad and its turned the run or part of the yard into a mudpit that is teaming with who knows what.
This may not be the case here but I have noticed that alot of animals will instinctively avoid things that upset their stomachs or otherwise will be detrimental to their health.
Just like how they seek out things around the yard that will fill a deficiency in their system or soothe a bad stomach etc.
If something like yogurt was truly that bad for them then even if they didn't natually avoid it I would think that we would see something adverse by now and as someone said their are literally hundreds of members here who feed their chickens yogurt on a regular basis.
For every "expert" who preaches one thing you can always find another that will preach the opposite, do what you feel is right for you.

The only problem that I have seen with yogurt is that they splatter it allover and then pick it off each other, making a mess and pulling feathers! If you mix it with something dry like crumbles that is not a problem. Just make sure it is plain and has active cultures, all that sugar in flavored yogurt is not good for anybody!

Hens4fun--if you rinse the cottage cheese, it will take out the uncultured milk that has lactose. I have never noticed any diarrhea after feeding rinsed cottage cheese or other cultured products.

I give mine plain soy yogurt
big_smile.png
You may want to try it instead of the dairy. They go NUTS for it, but I only give it to them on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the morning as a treat.

Last edited:
Someone told me once "Set the container down and RUN" I tried it but thought how silly it would be to run...why? Well, I found out why! LOL I was full of yogurt splatter in NO time! Now I listen...I set down and RUN
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom