why are people so mean? selling roos...

Usually the feed stores sell "straight runs", which means you pick 'em and what you get, that's it. I know our local TSC and Agway do it that way.

If you SPECIFICALLY ordered pullets and got more roos than the 10% accuracy that most claim, then I would complain and see if you could exchange the roos for pullets........or get your money back.

Clarify: The accuracy of venting is normally 90% sure they are pullets, the other 10% is the fudge factor.

I think it's fair enough if a store tells you there's no guarantee what sex your chickens will turn out to be, or that up to 10,20 or 30% could be cockerels, then it's a sort of 'buyer beware' situation, but to say that the they are selling pullets and then selling something else is just plain wrong and most likely illegal in a lot of places.

Backyard breeders probably don't come under the same laws as real stores and then yes, it's just downright nasty to sell chicks as pullets when there's a 50/50 chance they will be cockerels. Maybe everyone should ask their supplier if they can guarantee a percentage of pullets and then ask for that many more chicks/eggs for free to cover for the cockerels that they didn't want.

Or...

Perhaps the OP could start a 'I bought X chicks/eggs from breeder Y and got Z cockerels' post and provide the name & address of the breeder. Then everyone else could add their experiences (good & bad) and other BYC'ers could check if the breeder their thinking of buying from is on the list and what's good and bad about them.

Back
Top Bottom